Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

'Blue Monday' is 40 years old ...

Voley

🐀
... and yes, this fact should be on the 'Things That Make You Feel Old' thread. And it would be if I could find it. :oops:

I have danced my ass off to this song at shit school discos, in half-decent clubs and in fields at festivals with thousands of others.

Still sounds ace imo.

Good article here about its influences / songs it has influenced.

I absolutely love New Order but tbh I could happily never hear Blue Monday again :oops:

Yep and the first release has a silver inner sleeve. The reissue was all in one. Still got mine bought with money earned from an after school job, in fact I thought it was faulty when I tried to play it at 33 rpm. It's pretty scratched but that shows it had good times

... and yes, this fact should be on the 'Things That Make You Feel Old' thread. And it would be if I could find it. :oops:

I have danced my ass off to this song at shit school discos, in half-decent clubs and in fields at festivals with thousands of others.

Still sounds ace imo.

Good article here about its influences / songs it has influenced.

Really? How does it feel? Tell me now, how does it feel?

There's no doubt that hearing my dad play the 12 of Blue Monday was responsible for my love affair not only with New Order and Factory, but likely also electronic music and records more generally, there was just something about it that I latched onto (even though my dad used to spend a Sunday playing anything from soul to prog). Spending pocket money on buying Substance on LP when I was about 12 - the copy of which I still have and being obsessed with True Faith and the video for some time :D

However, my favourite New Order track is the 12 of Fine Time - something about my favourite band being influenced by Ibiza and that I'd also got into house music in a big way at that point :)

That copy of Blue Monday is still on my wall btw :cool:

blue-monday-40.jpg

Same here. It's just been there, part of the soundtrack to whatever stage of life I've been at since the 80s. The soundtrack to teenage Dungeons & Dragons sessions. Suburban Knight dropping it amongst the banging Detroit techno at an Underground Resistance night. My friend playing it at his 25th wedding anniversary party, causing three generations of his family to hit the dancefloor and go wild. Sitting on the sofa thinking I haven't heard Blue Monday for ages, casually finding it on YouTube and casting it to the speakers.

Still not tired of hearing it.

I would have only been 10. I think I must have heard it a few years later maybe 12 or 13.
I remember thinking that kick drum bit at the beginning was really shit and cheesy, like someone someone playing with a drum machine for the first time. There are some drum machine breaks later that are just horrendous. . . like the beginning of that crap song by 'The Banned' on Easteners with Sharron and Heartbeat.

It doesn't bother me so much these days but it really annoyed me at the time.

This a cross thread post really....because Blue Monday reminds me of being on a school trip to Ostend- it was literally an end of school year piss up. I just remember being very drunk on the ferry back , lots of vodka and orange and dancing to 'Blue Monday' so 1983 and I was 14.

There's no doubt that hearing my dad play the 12 of Blue Monday was responsible for my love affair not only with New Order and Factory, but likely also electronic music and records more generally, there was just something about it that I latched onto (even though my dad used to spend a Sunday playing anything from soul to prog). Spending pocket money on buying Substance on LP when I was about 12 - the copy of which I still have and being obsessed with True Faith and the video for some time :D

However, my favourite New Order track is the 12 of Fine Time - something about my favourite band being influenced by Ibiza and that I'd also got into house music in a big way at that point :)

That copy of Blue Monday is still on my wall btw :cool:

blue-monday-40.jpg
Yeh I'm a MASSIVE fan and the LP/12" of Fine Time is my favourite New Order track. There's just so much going on and it's totally perfect hard-edged house. Nothing sounds like it, even remotely.

I was fortunate enough to see them on a triple billing at Ali Pali with Underworld and, um, the Chemical Brothers I think. I don’t remember most of it. New Year’s Eve 1998 I think.

Back
Top Bottom