Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

bleep

killer b

That vase.
it's always mentioned in discussions about british-made post acid music, but until a few months ago i only really knew LFO, tricky disco and the like - 3 or 4 records can hardly make a scene can they?

anyway, since then i picked up a couple of comps which are surely bleep: breaks, bass & bleeps (there's another few volumes of this - also excellent, but moving into more full-on hardcore), and network's bio rhythm.

what else do i need? it only really existed for about 6 months, so there can't be that many more essential tunes...

yeah, i was sure there must be a warp comp - that one seems to cover it...

me & the 2 year old were having a big old dance to breaks, bass & bleeps earlier. was tres :cool:

aye, the first is blinding from beginning to end.

did you hear a guy called gerald is getting back with 808 state btw?

Here's a few I don't think are on any of those comps. I love this stuff, it brings back happy memories of 1990.
N-Joi - Techno gangsters
Frankie Bones & Lenny Dee - Inject the beat
Unique 3 - The theme
Cyclone - A place called bliss
Bassix - Close encounters
LFO - Track 4
Infamix - Hypnotic fx

Early LFO, NoW, and that Pioneers Of the Hypnotic Groove compilation were all big with me and my mates. (-Who could've known back then that Warp would go on to last so long and give us so much!... :))

I still love this one to bits too:

Not on Warp, but it kind of fits with that early sound; funky, detached, spacey, with breaks and some ridiculous sub bass. :cool:

nice, like that...

i never really liked the first wave of warp stuff at the time - it sounded too basic. i think if you compare it to the tracks on the bio rhythm album today, bio rhythm still wins - the tracks just sound more sophisticated to my ears. revisiting it, the warp releases still sound raw, but there's more to love now...

i dont know where to start really but here are some of my favs that i can think of...

lost entity - On The Verge
jupiter 6 - section two
Autonation - Sit On The Bass
defcon - random brainwave
defcon - altitude
FXU - scheme
Fozbee & Cooz - Free Your Mind/Dimension -The Machine Dream
M.I.C. - OOBE 1
mad bastard - i am the future
Earth Leakage Trip - no idea
Juno - Soul Thunder
Terra Incognita - Violence
project 86 - industrial bass
nrgee posse - themes
Turntable Overload - TTO

:cool:

Cabaret Voltaire : Easy Life (Jive Turkey mix)

Mind of Kane : Out of control

Secret Desire : White Light

and of course the mighty
Shades Of Rhythm : Homicide

Bizarre Inc : Bizarre Theme

Wow, 14 posts in and no-one's mentioned Sweet Excorcist, which is generally regarded as being the first bleeps EP...

finally nailed this last week after around 18 years of not even knowing what it was called, deffo one of my fav bleep tunes...

:D:cool:

Cabaret Voltaire : Easy Life (Jive Turkey mix)

pretty much any acts winston hazel or dj parrot shared the same oxygen as back then are worth checking out. also forgemasters/nebula one/rhymatic etc - and other releases on that label that put out Juno -trust noone (can't remember what it was called)

also don't forget a lot of the early Vinyl Solution stuff - spice, inner mind etc.

and Blapps Posse had a sort of bleep element to them (the ORIGINAL of Bus' It being one of thee classic tracks of that era in my view and still an utter banger if you hear it dropped today)

taking of cabaret voltaire, that entire Easy Life LP is pure genius - without doubt one of THEE best 'house music' long players ever recorded & also quite criminally underrated/unrecognised.

also well worth checking out and more 'bleep' style techno are the quite phenomenal two LPs CV did on Les Disques Du Crepuscule records: percussive Force & Body and Soul. Imagien you can pick up all of those pretty cheap as noone else I know seemed to rate them but we caned loads of trax off them back then.

Nice thread this - lots of discoveries for me - would love to hear some mixes if anyone has. Chico, you ever put some mixes up on here?

In fact, id be up for getting into a bit of new proper techno - really missing some deep electronic beats in my life - but thats another thread.

I reckon this counts as a great early proto-bleep track: Steve Poindexter - thats a tough tough tune - only discovered it a couple of years back - heard colin favor play it as part of an oldskool set - on a system - ouch
mixes sweetly with this one:
also on Bassic:

Do you reckon the mighty counts as bleep? maybe not strictly but clsoe enough i reckon! (this was the tune that really turned me to electronic music - no looking back after this :))

itals theme (it was mark pre-iration steppers) and soul thunder were BIG BIG tracks in leeds, as was test one. nightmares on wax i'm for real and dextrous were HUGE and the theme always got the bassheads excited.
tricky disco was great too/

Back
Top Bottom