Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Big arch of plants and flowers

TopCat

Putin fanboy
Hello fellow gardeners.

I have an idea and need help with taking it forward. I want to create a big arch of plants and flowers over a really big building entrance. I attach a couple of pics which have a similar thing going on.

I’m thinking of chicken wire stuffed full of florist green blocks.

That’s as far as I have got.

Thoughts and suggestions please. :)E6D59B79-F5D2-4565-8FF6-19B709763429.jpeg

How long do you want the plants and flowers to last, would they be rooted and need watering or cut flowers for just a short time?
My husb made an arch for our daughters wedding and just stuck flowers and foliage in mesh around it but they only survived the day, I guess the florist green block would keep them hydrated for a while.
Otherwise could you use lots of those hanging bag/pouches filled with compost in your chicken wire, like a green wall type thing? I’d imaging you’d need some sort of timber frame to support it if you did.
1676649374381.jpeg
1676649433396.jpeg
1676649512822.png
1676649553650.png

I’ve been thinking about this and have assumed you want something 8’ high, 10’ across, and what it to last a good season so about 6 months.
I’d put 1 or 2 growing pouches/baskets on each side and 3 or 4 across the top, which I’d plant with trailing geranium, scrambling nasturtium and some of those hanging basket foliage plants that are a bit fuzzy and come in lettuce heart or sage green and spread out very quickly and all of which do well enough without much water or rich soil. I’d also stick a few extra seeds or beans in to add a bit of variety if they grow on a rainy week. The rest of the arch I’d fill with eg orange willow whips, eucalyptus branches, maybe some yew or spikey evergreen, bit of red dogwood, things that look good as cut dead branches in terms or colour and shape. Once the live stuff starts growing through them it’ll look fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom