Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best French PAYG/monthly-no-contract sim card post-Brexit?

AnnO'Neemus

Is so vanilla
Now that Brexit's fucked up EU roaming, which is the best French PAYG sim card for me to get while spending 12 weeks there?

There's still UK mobile companies that do sim only with roaming in EU included.
Try ID mobile, they have some cheap plans.

There's still UK mobile companies that do sim only with roaming in EU included.
Try ID mobile, they have some cheap plans.
Whilst several still offer inclusive EU roaming, most have some fair use policy which might cause punitive charges to be applied at some point. For example, on iD Mobile and Virgin those kick in if you use the SIM outside of the UK more during a 4 month period, than inside the UK. Others reserve the right to suspend an account if it is used for more than so many consecutive days abroad (eg 63 days in total in 4 months on O2 & giffgaff, any 60 consecutive days on SMARTY, etc). How aggressively they enforce those policies, I know not.

Whilst several still offer inclusive EU roaming, most have some fair use policy which might cause punitive charges to be applied at some point. For example, on iD Mobile and Virgin those kick in if you use the SIM outside of the UK more during a 4 month period, than inside the UK. Others reserve the right to suspend an account if it is used for more than so many consecutive days abroad (eg 63 days in total in 4 months on O2 & giffgaff, any 60 consecutive days on SMARTY, etc). How aggressively they enforce those policies, I know not.

Fingers crossed Virgin have never charged me and I'm in Portugal for a good 10 months of the year. Always a first time though if the above is correct

Three PAYG sim is good for charge-free roaming. They have packages as well - for instance £10 will get you 4gb for the month, with unlimited calls & texts.

Used it 6 months so far and not been cut off yet 🤞

Three PAYG sim is good for charge-free roaming. They have packages as well - for instance £10 will get you 4gb for the month, with unlimited calls & texts.

Just so I'm clear, you've paid £10 and been able to use it for 6 months?

Fingers crossed Virgin have never charged me and I'm in Portugal for a good 10 months of the year. Always a first time though if the above is correct
Probably depends on when you began your current contract and type thereof. The latest one appears to be bound by O2's fair use policy (probably not surprising as they are an MVNO on O2, and part-owned by them anyway), which would be no "more than 63 days in any four-month period".

Again, might depend on the age of the contract, or how efficient/organised they are, or maybe even how heavily you rinse the host network, but: "we'll monitor your usage, and if you spend two complete months in one or more of our Go Roam destinations in a rolling 12-month period, we have the right to suspend international roaming services on your account".

Just so I'm clear, you've paid £10 and been able to use it for 6 months?

£10 a month

Probably depends on when you began your current contract and type thereof. The latest one appears to be bound by O2's fair use policy (probably not surprising as they are an MVNO on O2, and part-owned by them anyway), which would be no "more than 63 days in any four-month period".

Again, might depend on the age of the contract, or how efficient/organised they are, or maybe even how heavily you rinse the host network, but: "we'll monitor your usage, and if you spend two complete months in one or more of our Go Roam destinations in a rolling 12-month period, we have the right to suspend international roaming services on your account".

Sure you never know but there are lots of people here using UK providers and haven't heard of anyone getting cut off yet. My boss has been here 15 years and is on O2 apparently 😂

If it kicks at 4 months OP should be OK as they are going for 3 months

Forgot to say OH is on Plusnet, monthly rolling contract, £8 a month, 18gb unlimited calls & texts, no roaming charges. 6 months out of UK all good so far 👍

Giffgaff get snotty after 3 months.

As for France well ask French people. Theres the same big companies. Maybe some more flexible tariff carriers too used by the youth. Having the French number could be useful.

Back
Top Bottom