Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Best Bread Maker Mixes?

Flour, water, yeast, salt + mixing bowl + loaf tin + oven =

IMG-20190603-131929627.jpg

No "mixes" or bread making machines required.

:cool:

Most bread makers only really work with the instruction book recipes and can't be programmed for much else.

I use the food processor to knead, normal blade attachment, very slow speed, watch for when the dough forms a ball - works really well

20190518_013941.jpg

(I should add that using the blade is good for up to around 75% hydration doughs so absolutely fine for your standard loaf types, if making something very high hydration, dough hooks work better with very sticky dough)

I made some focaccia by hand tonight, I don't often knead dough by hand because I have arthritis, but it is fun to do sometimes - that satisfying moment when it goes from wet dough stuck on everything and you are thinking "wtf is going on" to all going elastic and coming together - it's a wonderful moment :)

I don't care for bread-makers because I like to make a 'sponge', as well as generous amounts of milk and butter...and I really don't care for the hole in the base...but even so, I can't really see any value in buying a mix (although batter mixes give me more of a WTF moment).

Spare a thought for civilians. I just made an excellent loaf in the bread maker with a shameful mix. It was/is very tasty.

Spare a thought for civilians. I just made an excellent loaf in the bread maker with a shameful mix. It was/is very tasty.
My eldest has a bread machine and makes a dry mix in 10lb batches and just stores it all in Kilner jars The basic mix is very simple and is a nice base for extra seeds, milk powder, cinnamon, caraway, chopped dates and apricot, oats, rye and buckwheat flour...and so on. He often tips a cup of muesli in. It is easy to do this and loads cheaper.

Can't find a better thread.... if I directly substitute granulated sugar with brown sugar in the fruit loaf recipe in the manual, should that work fine?

Back
Top Bottom