Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beginners guide to moral philosophy

Is there any reason you’re interested? Or is it just a general overview you’re wanting?

Ethics, Killing and War by Richard Norman uses a particular angle (can war ever be justified?) to look at the contribution of moral philosophy to practical concerns in current affairs. It’s actually a wider introduction than its ostensible focus might seem, and whether or not you agree with his conclusions (and when I read it, I broadly did), it offers a useful introduction to the subject.

A more conventional introduction would be Gensler’s Ethics, a Contemporary Introduction.

Is there any reason you’re interested? Or is it just a general overview you’re wanting?

Ethics, Killing and War by Richard Norman uses a particular angle (can war ever be justified?) to look at the contribution of moral philosophy to practical concerns in current affairs. It’s actually a wider introduction than its ostensible focus might seem, and whether or not you agree with his conclusions (and when I read it, I broadly did), it offers a useful introduction to the subject.

A more conventional introduction would be Gensler’s Ethics, a Contemporary Introduction.

Thanks Danny
I'm finding that I can't even explain why I'm interested.
I've been listening to The Ferryhill Philosophers dramas on Radio 4.
I want to know and understand more about moral philosophy.
If I have to read about killing and war I will but I'd rather not.

Thanks Danny
I'm finding that I can't even explain why I'm interested.
I've been listening to The Ferryhill Philosophers dramas on Radio 4.
I want to know and understand more about moral philosophy.
If I have to read about killing and war I will but I'd rather not.
Do you listen to podcasts? Try dipping into the Partially Examined Life. It can be a useful jumping off point. (It can also at times be superficial and irritating, but I can forgive them that for the number of useful discussions they do have).

Do you listen to podcasts? Try dipping into the Partially Examined Life. It can be a useful jumping off point. (It can also at times be superficial and irritating, but I can forgive them that for the number of useful discussions they do have).
Thanks, I've never listened to podcasts but I can start :) I still want a book though :)

Thanks, I've never listened to podcasts but I can start :) I still want a book though :)
Try the Gensler, then, if the Norman isn’t calling to you. There’ll be a newer edition than the one I have.

Here’s the podcast I referred to. Dip in and out of what takes your fancy. The Partially Examined Life Philosophy Podcast

If you need advice on how to get the best out of podcasts technically speaking, I’m sure somebody better qualified than me can advise.

Inventing Right and Wrong by Mackie covers a lot of ground I think you might like it.

Seconded. It was my introductory text at undergrad.

As this was only £6.75 I've just bought it.

The Genster will have to wait until Friday.
It looks like I have plenty to read, listen to and watch for now
Thanks for all the recommendations folks :)

Last edited:
As this was only £6.75 I've just bought it.

The Genster will have to wait until Friday.
It looks like I have plenty to read, listen to and watch for now
Thanks for all the recommendations folks :)
Don’t get the Gensler as well as the Mackie (not yet anyway). The Mackie is older, but it’s a classic, it covers plenty of ground, and you may want to supplement it with a few readings from primary sources rather than another introductory text.

Don’t get the Gensler as well as the Mackie (not yet anyway). The Mackie is older, but it’s a classic, it covers plenty of ground, and you may want to supplement it with a few readings from primary sources rather than another introductory text.
Ok thanks. I ordered the J l Mackie around 7pm last and it arrived before lunch today :)

If you enjoy podcasts the ‘revealing applied ethics’ course is really useful. The first episode gives an overview of all the different ethical theories and then the subsequent episodes consider them in relation to applied ethical questions like abortion, capital punishment, the environment etc.

Other podcasts worth checking out are ethics bites, bioethics bites, practical ethics bites and philosophy 247.

If you enjoy podcasts the ‘revealing applied ethics’ course is really useful. The first episode gives an overview of all the different ethical theories and then the subsequent episodes consider them in relation to applied ethical questions like abortion, capital punishment, the environment etc.

Other podcasts worth checking out are ethics bites, bioethics bites, practical ethics bites and philosophy 247.
I've still never listened to a podcast :oops: but I'm planning to and I'll add these to my growing list. Thank you :)

I've still never listened to a podcast :oops: but I'm planning to and I'll add these to my growing list. Thank you :)

I listen to them when doing house work or walking to work - it makes mundane tasks fun or at least more tolerable!

Back
Top Bottom