Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bedside light/phone charger/alarm clock/radio tech...

LDC

On est tous des pangolins
Been faffing about with not having the phone by the bed and leaving it on charge elsewhere in the house to help with sleep, but I increasingly like the phone next to the bed for various reasons (people out late/local drama with gangs/etc.).

So, instead of having a growing mess of an old battery alarm clock that wakes me up with a screeching rattle and a bedside lamp and a radio and my phone and all the usual shit like books, I wonder if there's some bedside light with an integral USB charger thing that allows my phone to plug-in and be used as a alarm clock and radio?

Have had a quick look online but can't find anything nice out there. Ideally it would be wood and allow the phone to be plugged in as portrait rather than rotating it to landscape (I know I'm fussy).

Anyone seen anything like this out there, would have thought it would be easy to find?

Also... firstworldproblems thread.

Yeah, something like that, but cheaper and USB!
How about this? You'd have to add a £10 smart plug if there's not enough light coming off the unit.

UPDATE - this is a better video

The vid's a bit annoying, sorry, but it shows you what it does

or:

Leaving phones on charge all night fucks the batteries and modern phones only need 60-90 mins charging a day. Get a normal lamp and charge the phone while you're getting ready in the morning with a top up at tea time.

Leaving phones on charge all night fucks the batteries and modern phones only need 60-90 mins charging a day. Get a normal lamp and charge the phone while you're getting ready in the morning with a top up at tea time.
It doesn't fuck the batteries anymore but you do increase the slim chance of the thing turning into a molten burning heap if you've got dodgy batteries.

It doesn't fuck the batteries anymore but you do increase the slim chance of the thing turning into a molten burning heap if you've got dodgy batteries.

It doesn't fuck them as in overcharging but it means they're at 100% for several hours which reduces their lifespan considerably.

I am very anal about my batteries and rarely let them go over 90% or under 20% but my phones last forever.

Ditto, I try to do the 40% - 80% thing.

iPhones now 'learn' your charging routine and trickle charge to 80% overnight and if you have an alarm set I think it does the final 20% in the final hour. However my anal 40 - 80 thing probably means it has no fucking clue how I go about charging my phone.

Damn you all with your techno-geekery!
How about this? You'd have to add a £10 smart plug if there's not enough light coming off the unit.

UPDATE - this is a better video

The vid's a bit annoying, sorry, but it shows you what it does

or:

Looks good, but I'm a bit Google and smarttech avoidant, and do try and not get too much tech for things like this as I find they just goes out of date or breaks and needs replacing quite frequently (not that had much experience of them tbh). And I'd still need a bedside light with that to read by. I really just want a light with a phone dock.

Why don't you just set an alarm on your phone? That's one thing binned off already without buying anything.

Depending how you use the radio there might be phone options for that too.

Damn you all with your techno-geekery!

Looks good, but I'm a bit Google and smarttech avoidant, and do try and not get too much tech for things like this as I find they just goes out of date or breaks and needs replacing quite frequently (not that had much experience of them tbh). And I'd still need a bedside light with that to read by. I really just want a light with a phone dock.
Just search 'lamp with usb port' on amazon. There's a few round 15-20 quid.

Reactions: LDC
Why don't you just set an alarm on your phone? That's one thing binned off already without buying anything.

Depending how you use the radio there might be phone options for that too.

Yeah, started doing that and using the Radioplayer app as that has an alarm function which BBC Sounds doesn't (and doesn't need signing in to) so get woken up with the dulcet tones of Radio 4 rather than an ear shattering beep.

Just search 'lamp with usb port' on amazon. There's a few round 15-20 quid.

Have looked for bedside lights and there's plenty with USB ports, but not found one that lets you dock the phone directly without a cable and also not need a phone stand.

Last edited:
a alarm function which BBC Sounds doesn't
I know all about that one. You can make Android play Spotify or certain select services with the system alarm clock, but the BBC isn't one of them yet. To do it right requires Google to collaborate. They could have rolled their own like iPlayer Radio did but it's really horrible and pisses off a lot of people when it doesn't work.

I know all about that one. You can make Android play Spotify or certain select services with the system alarm clock, but the BBC isn't one of them yet. To do it right requires Google to collaborate. They could have rolled their own like iPlayer Radio did but it's really horrible and pisses off a lot of people when it doesn't work.

I used to use the iPlayer radio app a while ago which was great, but they got rid of it. Then I downloaded the BBC Sounds app the other day for this, and it's terrible.

I used to use the iPlayer radio app a while ago which was great, but they got rid of it. Then I downloaded the BBC Sounds app the other day for this, and it's terrible.
Heh. I made that, or a big part of it anyway. Not my problem any more though. FWIW, I think it's quite good, and better than iPR.

Having recently had a phone battery explode and set fire to the bedroom carpet in the middle of the night when the phone wasn't even on charge, there is absolultely no way on this earth that I would ever leave a phone charging (when the risk of catastrophic battery failure is significantly higher) while I was asleep.

• Wow
Reactions: LDC
Having recently had a phone battery explode and set fire to the bedroom carpet in the middle of the night when the phone wasn't even on charge, there is absolultely no way on this earth that I would ever leave a phone charging (when the risk of catastrophic battery failure is significantly higher) while I was asleep.

Holy fucking christ. Maybe I'll think again! 🔥

Back
Top Bottom