Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC news wanting an account to read articles

hitmouse

so defeated, thinks it's funny
Is anyone else getting this?
1637570474567.png
Doesn't seem to be a way to dismiss it other than signing in or registering. And like I could do that, but also I always resent stuff being put behind fences unnecessarily, and I can just either mess around with disabling scripts to get rid of it or get my news from non-BBC sources. Weirdly, I seem to get it on my laptop but not my phone. Has anyone else experienced this/got any tips for getting rid of it?

yep, and youtube wanting me to provide id to prove i'm over 18 to watch loads of tame videos can feck off an'all.

Ah, found this:

Why am I being asked to sign in to BBC News and Sport?​

You may be asked to sign in to your BBC account when visiting BBC News and BBC Sport online – just like you’re already asked when using BBC iPlayer, BBC Sounds and the BBC Sports app.
Signing in is quick, free and easy, and we’ll keep you signed in. You can register for a BBC account here.
At the moment, we’re testing this on a small section of our audience to see how it impacts use of the BBC website.
BBC have selected me as a guinea pig?

Is anyone else getting this?
View attachment 297729
Doesn't seem to be a way to dismiss it other than signing in or registering. And like I could do that, but also I always resent stuff being put behind fences unnecessarily, and I can just either mess around with disabling scripts to get rid of it or get my news from non-BBC sources. Weirdly, I seem to get it on my laptop but not my phone. Has anyone else experienced this/got any tips for getting rid of it?
Yes it does it on my phone in the built in web browser in my steganos password app when i click links from urban but not doing it on my chrome app or in the bbc news app. Not doing it on my work win 10 laptop.

Ah, found this:

BBC have selected me as a guinea pig?
Yep, so stay strong for the rest of us.

(Not really related, but allow me to vent, Nothing to do with the BBC, I think...)

Not nearly as frustrating as the arrogance of "Later" as an option for "No"

"Hey, sorry for the jarring popup that's stopping you read a disposable article, but do you want to do something you wouldn't normally choose to do, but is commercially optimal for us, such as allow us to send you updates from our shithouse website?"

You have 2 options:
a: "Yes"
or
b: "Later"

"Later"? How dare you, you massive fucking twats. :mad:

I've had that pop-up a few times.
But it usually has a "not now" type button.

Goes away if I clear cache / cookies & relaunch the site.

And I'm not having "an account" anytime soon.

OMG. Even the BBC have to have this stupid argument with senior management on repeat I guess.

Senior management: "We want people to sign into the website because [internal reasons that have nothing to do with user experience]."

All website people: "This will deter people from using the website." Internally - :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

At least they won agreement to test it out first.

Fuck em. I don't watch their telly or bother with iplayer. I gave up on Radio 4 a few years back. I doubt I'll miss their website.

Less intrusive than Instagram demanding you record a video of your head turning left and right for about 2 minutes I suppose. It won't be long before we're all digitally fucked, just sayin.

well, i got this message just today when wanting to view a video on youtube, which is just a song, no video (Blanck Mass - 'No Lite':

Watching age-restricted videos​

To provide age-appropriate experiences when people come to YouTube, we have certain policies on what content is age-restricted. This means content that isn't appropriate for viewers under 18 will be age-restricted.

What this means for viewers​

Age-restricted videos are not viewable to viewers who:

If you're in the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland or the United Kingdom​

The Audiovisual Media Services Directive (AVMSD) is an EU-wide coordination of national legislation on audiovisual media – both traditional TV broadcasts and on-demand services. Recently, AVMSD was revised to extend certain rules to video-sharing platforms (VSPs).
In line with AVMSD, you may be asked to re-verify your date of birth when watching age-restricted videos. Follow the prompts to submit an image of a valid ID or credit card. Learn more about what we do with your ID/credit card.
For more info on AVMSD, visit this website.

they want me to upload a pic of my credit card or picture id - they can feck right off! i can understand them not wanting kids to watch certain stuff, but its very indiscriminate as to what seems to constitute age restricted videos

Back
Top Bottom