Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

BBC, ITV, C4 and C5 reveal Freeview successor “Freely”

I am looking forward to this as I have a slightly dodgy Freeview signal and don’t want a satellite dish.

It's long overdue, and I really hope they get the UI right. However, I really don't like the name. It's like they tried to find the most similar name to Amazon's 'Freevee' - they should've kept it a variant of Freeview.

Also, though its some time off, but given what's happening with the reduction of AM transponders and the BBC stating they will switch off terrestrial TV by 2030, I'm concerned this will hasten the switch off of terrestrial signals so it'll soon be the only way to get live TV, which means you'll need access to broadband so for many people (pensioners etc) they could be denied access to basic telly through the aerial.

It's long overdue, and I really hope they get the UI right. However, I really don't like the name. It's like they tried to find the most similar name to Amazon's 'Freevee' - they should've kept it a variant of Freeview.

Also, though its some time off, but given what's happening with the reduction of AM transponders and the BBC stating they will switch off terrestrial TV by 2030, I'm concerned this will hasten the switch off of terrestrial signals so it'll soon be the only way to get live TV, which means you'll need access to broadband so for many people (pensioners etc) they could be denied access to basic telly through the aerial.

Yeah - I don't like the idea of people having to have broadband to get telly.
The M-i-L is already shitting herself about her copper phone line disappearing in 2025, despite reassurances.

It also calls into question the efficacy of any sort of emergency broadcast.

• The service will launch in 2024, but will require a next-generation smart TV.

Even if I wasn't almost completely uninterested in the output of legacy media (Taskmaster is the only thing that comes to mind as something that I would actually want to watch), this bit right here is where I go haha no, fuck off.

Smart TVs are a festering curse on the consumer electronics market and need to fuck off and die.

I don't think I've seen any TV with ITVx - I know it's also not available on PS4 where I can stream most other services. The other notable one missing is UKTV.

Bizarrely I heard itvx won an award for their platform. Last night it told me it had a temporary problem using Safari on my mac and suggested I install chrome. FFS.

Back
Top Bottom