Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bamboo - how to use this versatile material

campanula

diminished responsibilty
I work in a garden which has a huge amount of bamboo. I ignored this last year but it is now imperative that I do some radical thinning as there are many, many 15-20ft canes, some of which are over 2 inches in diameter. Bamboo is a fantastic material - light, strong, renewable (a grass on steroids) and I am determined to make the best use of this. Previously, I just used it for plant supports, but am wanting to be a bit more ambitious. And there is a lot of it. And so, I look to my forum mates to inspire me, encourage me and surprise me with expertise and innovation. Any/All ideas gratefully recieved.

I put bamboo flooring in both my kids' rooms and it's great, but not easy to make your own, even with a garden full of the stuff.
No, I was probably focusing on the "versatile uses" of the thread title rather than the specifics of the OP...

campanula - given that most of the really versatile uses are probably going to require a scale of industrialisation that's beyond you, what about the craft market? Bamboo log baskets, door curtains (lots of 5cm bits of thin bamboo on (recycleable) string, etc.

bamboo-arm-chair.jpg

Not claiming that I could do this, but it seems to use a fair bit of bamboo

is there such a thing as bamboo charcoal? Though it seems a shame.

IME (I, too, am blessed with an abundance of it), the main use of trimmed bamboo, is to essentially lie along a secluded 'alleyway' (i.e. side of shed), to create a bamboo stockpile. A stockpile of this natural wonder-material, that one day will be the perfect thing to use, with the warm glow that it cost you nowt.

Sure, that purpose is not yet know.

The big reveal/secret, that it will not ever, until you sell your house (and you have to find a suitable means to get rid of 100 15ft canes) or take up gardening seriously.

It is amazing stuff. I have only lashed it together but am thinking of a collaboration with my youngest (a metal worker) because I am a bit shaky on attempting bamboo joints. I have always relied on timber (for things like pergolas, arbours or buildings) but am really keen to attempt a geodesic dome, if I can get my youngest to make the joining bits. Honestly, the size and girth of many of the canes is calling out for something a bit architectural. I am actually thinking along the lines of scaffolding...which utilises numerous connecting bits...and even thinking the diameter of some of the canes are equivalent to a scaff pole. I have done a fair bit of basket work but this relies on the flexibility of willow and, to a lesser extent, hazel...but given the structure of canes, it can only be bent if split...so maybe need to consider split-cane work.

Nothing much gets me more exciteable than free materials so I am desperate to use the cane crop in some stunning way...but am limited by my skills, at the moment.

I have always relied on timber (for things like pergolas, arbours or buildings) but am really keen to attempt a geodesic dome, if I can get my youngest to make the joining bits.
I was going to suggest a pergola or similar.

A geodesic dome sounds great if not difficult.

Things like geodesic domes have a certain stability inbuilt in the actual design (like A frames and other freestanding structures). Which is why I am thinking more along those lines...than things which require a lot of structural integrity or are dependent on clever joinery. (although this is a requirement for a dome). I never really got fully on board with using pallets but cannot bear the thought of chopping up all these really useful looking canes.

I chopped a big stand of it down with a chainsaw for my friend in North Queensland

Top tip wear a hat long sleeves with rubber bands on the wrists, I got showered with free falling tree frogs and all sorts of heinous Armoured crawly critters

YouTube bamboo workshop plenty of amazing crafty ideas if you like using your hands (and feet)

Back
Top Bottom