Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Australia considers raising working holiday visa age to 50

Yossarian

⏭️
Interesting - at 49 with a family, there is zero chance of me moving Down Under on a backpacker work visa, but I can think of several friends who would almost certainly have done this in their 40s if the opportunity had been there.

Australia’s peak tourism body wants the working holiday visa age cut-off to be lifted to provide a wider range of skilled workers and professionals. The federal government is conducting a migration review to find ways of addressing worker shortages across Australia.

Popular with backpacker tourists, the working holiday visa is only eligible for people 35 years and under. But Tourism and Transport Forum Australia chief executive, Margy Osmond, said Australia could get more benefits out of the program by lifting age eligibility rules to 50.

You would’ve thought they’d just change their rules to allow some of Europe’s excess of migrants / refugees to move there. An Australian restauranteur I follow on YouTube regularly talks about the near impossibility of finding catering and hospitality staff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom