Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Asbestos dust in my loft, what now?

PinkFluffy

Hello all.

I recently had some work done to my roof. As the timber batons were rotten and one of the eaves had been blown off in a recent storm they needed to take off about 2 meters of roof tiles on each end to redo the timber work. Fortunately the trusses are still sound. They then gave me pretty new eaves and soffits, a dry roof edge and it looks great.

I was away when the work was done which I was thankful for at the time. Fast forward a few weeks and I just went up into my loft. OMG. If I was here maybe I could have done something at the time to protect the loft space, there is a thick layer of dust everywhere.

Initially I thought it was just cement dust and stupidly wiped some surfaces. That is when I saw the broken sheet of asbestos. To me it looks like the hard asbestos cement. It is not crumbly and the surface is quite firm. I know what asbestos looks like having grown up around the stuff and it is most certainly asbestos.

I think they must have used an angle grinder to cut it, certainly the powder fine dust is as a result of something having been cut.... And I find myself in a house with a loft filled with powder fine dust that might just be incredibly toxic.

I did vacuum a few square meters that has floor boards down, but the rest has the pink insulation and no way, no how am I going to try and get the dust out of that. I used a proper respirator, bagged and washed my clothes and had a nice long shower the minute I was done. If I die of lung cancer it would be regrettable, but it would be unimaginable to let my child be exposed to any danger.

What the heck do I do now?

Speak to the contractor immediately. Firstly their workers have been exposed and they may not know about it, secondly they need to propose a solution.

Yes, straight back to the contractor as they need to know. Their insurance may cover a proper clean up.
keep a written timeline of all this.

Thanks, hadn't thought of binning the vacuum :facepalm:
I have however made an appointment for the contractor to come by, I need to know what he was cutting. Maybe it wasn't the offending and just that he had to cut into the walls to renew the timbers. In any event I can't leave it as is.

Back
Top Bottom