Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Question Anyone using Chimera or Bazzite in place of Steam OS?

bmd

Island in the stream.
I bought a mini PC that was supposed to be 'brilliant for gaming' and it is if your gaming preferences are for 10 year old games running at 720p with 15fps. I'll never learn. It's a Trigkey S7 Pro, Ryzen 7 7840 HS, 32GB RAM etc.

Anyway, I believe that Bazzite, a Fedora-based OS, based on Steam OS, is much better suited to those kind of specs and was wondering if anyone else has any experience of it?

I actually came here to see if I knew anyone from Brighton because I've been in contact with someone there who's selling a OneX1 but they're very jumpy and will only sell it via PayPal Friends and Family or face to face. I'm in Leeds and hardly ever venture out of Yorkshire never mind anywhere else but I'm seriously considering it, just to pick that up.

I'm not sure what you'd gain? Windows will do fine on that machine and switching to Linux isn't going change that your gaming with on board graphics.
So the Radeon 780M is on the CPU along with the Ryzen 7 7840S?

I was thinking that there's a lot of services chugging away on W11, which will be eating away at my processing power and RAM, that I don't need to game with. Is that right?

So the Radeon 780M is on the CPU along with the Ryzen 7 7840S?

I was thinking that there's a lot of services chugging away on W11, which will be eating away at my processing power and RAM, that I don't need to game with. Is that right?

Yes, it's a laptop CPU with on board graphics. The issue you're having isn't lack of processing power or RAM, it's that the GPU isn't powerful enough for what you need it for and switching to Linux won't help that.

Could you return it and use the money towards something more suitable for gaming?
I was on the brink of that. As in, I had it all packed up and ready to return when I read about Chimera and then the more AMD-friendly Bazzite. I was thinking I'd put the £550 towards half a PC build and then buy the rest next month. I sold my PS5 last week as I was getting bored of the lack of games and thought I might as well get a PC.

I've just played Remnant from the Ashes and its... not horrible. 1080p, no stuttering. I'm using an Xbox game pad with no problems but that's down to Steam which I've got on the Big Picture interface through my TV. I was up for getting the OneX1 simply because it would be usable as a screen on a stand on the coffee table. I can see they're bloody awful as a Steam Deck alternative, usability-wise but the specs made it quite attractive. Plus they're so cheap secondhand now.

Back
Top Bottom