Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone know how to make a box frame?

Aladdin

For a large canvas.
Everything I see costs too much.
A box frame looks neat and doesn't overpower the painting.

Hoping to make 3 of them. If I can get the hang of it!

The canvas sits into it ..

And there's a tiny gap between the face of the canvas and the frame.

I reckon you need 4 pieces of wood to match the dimensions of your canvas. Mitre the ends and then stick them together using wood glue. To make sure the ends don't fall apart as they're drying, staple them together and remove the staples once dry. I'm talking about a big stapler here eg those ones used for upholstery. Or you can use headless tacks, if using those they need to be hammered into the surface so they don't stand proud.

Once the glue.is dried, use wood filler to fill any little holes left by staples etc.

Sand and stain. Then apply a top coat.

Stand back and admire your handiwork then realise that your corners are wonky :facepalm:

I reckon you need 4 pieces of wood to match the dimensions of your canvas. Mitre the ends and then stick them together using wood glue. To make sure the ends don't fall apart as they're drying, staple them together and remove the staples once dry. I'm talking about a big stapler here eg those ones used for upholstery. Or you can use headless tacks, if using those they need to be hammered into the surface so they don't stand proud.

Once the glue.is dried, use wood filler to fill any little holes left by staples etc.

Sand and stain. Then apply a top coat.

Stand back and admire your handiwork then realise that your corners are wonky :facepalm:

Thank you both.

The video will be useful...and hopefully I will be able to make one that isn't wonky cesare 🤪

Last edited:
I've just done something similar with my chop saw and some old bed slats which I stole some time ago from the tip.

Also used a staple gun.

I was actually making frames to wrap wallpaper around so they didn't need to be too neat. (These were for a friend's gloomy hallway).

I'd like to make more, but I definitely need to work harder at accuracy. You need 4 pieces exactly the same length and with a precise 45 degree angle.

1692459303238.png

Back
Top Bottom