Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone had a uPVC back door fitted recently ?

Presumably they are ripping out the old one, installing the new one and sealing, making good? What's the cost of the door?
It wasn't itemised
It's a new opening we made...
20 years ago I had a whole house done for £2500
They were a bit shit though
Had the whole roof stripped leaded and felted for a similar price.
I bought a small window from them last year self-install
It was very good quality and roughly the same as one of the national suppliers

It wasn't itemised
It's a new opening we made...
20 years ago I had a whole house done for £2500
They were a bit shit though
Had the whole roof stripped leaded and felted for a similar price.
I bought a small window from them last year self-install
It was very good quality and roughly the same as one of the national suppliers
There's yer clue.

Face it, we're getting old. We'll be at the "HOW MUCH??? I used to be able to get 3 for a shilling, and still have change from a farthing" stage soon enough...

My best quote to do the the back door, back patio doors and a small window was £2.5k. In the end he did the whole 4 bed house for £12k. The other quote was £17k.

Just had a first somewhat scary quote.
Roughly 2 metres by 1 metre. Fully glazed.

£948

We had our balcony door replaced and that was about the cost of it. We got a few quotes and one wanted two and a half grand for it so we fucking noped out of that one.

Entire door and frame was swapped out and it made a massive difference to the heat and warmth of house so it was worth it in the end. The old door was simple wood and non-double glazing

Last edited:
We had our balcony door replaced and that was about the cost of it. We got a few quotes and one wanted two and a half grand for it so we fucking noped out of that one.

Entire door and frame was swapped out and it made a massive difference to the heat and warmth of house so it was worth it in the end. The old door was simple wood and non-double glazing
Perhaps for perverse comedy I got Anglian to quote..
The chap seemed embarrassed to do all the discounting bollocks on the laptop in front of me and the email with the £1300 quote was a mile long and in the forefront was the offer to pay over 96 months at 12 percent APR !
As my brother put it, Anglian and their ilk are for "Acacia avenue"...

As it happens it did me a great favour as it made me radically change my plan.

Perhaps for perverse comedy I got Anglian to quote..
The chap seemed embarrassed to do all the discounting bollocks on the laptop in front of me and the email with the £1300 quote was a mile long and in the forefront was the offer to pay over 96 months at 12 percent APR !
As my brother put it, Anglian and their ilk are for "Acacia avenue"...

As it happens it did me a great favour as it made me radically change my plan.

I don't know if it's still the case, but some years I was told by someone that worked for one of the big national firms, that they tend to pay 25% commission to the sales people, a 5% override for the sales manager, plus they tend to spend a lot on marketing, hence why they come out so expensive.

I was talking to the people next-door over the weekend, they are getting some new windows fitted, apparently they asked for recommendations on a local facebook page, and picked a highly recommended local builder, as brickwork is involved to increase the size of one window, that work plus 4 windows has come in at £2500 inc. VAT, which seems very reasonable.

When I had a huge 8ft x 8ft window replaced I got my colleagues dad to do it as he worked for a local glazing firm and he did it as a private job on a Saturday as they were allowed to buy glass at cost.

This was 50% cheaper than a local firm.

Sore point... Supposed to be fitting a new composite door and windows tomorrow. Spent much of the day preparing, moving things out of rooms and generally making thngs ready. Received a text this evening to say they haven't actually received the windows. Job delayed by a week. So we'll have to do it all again next Thursday.

Back
Top Bottom