Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone got any experience of insuring a campervan as a daily driver?

sim667

All aboard the 303 bus.
So I’m kind of plodding along with a 2011 Diesel Car and a 2005 diesel van. My garage has suggested the car might need some work doing soon, and if I was considering selling it any time soon now might be a good time. So i think I’m going to use my campervan daily (as if I had to choose just one vehicle I’d choose a campervan) and then when my partner passes her test she’ll get a car and I’ll consider getting a newer van.

But I’ve never driven a van as a daily driver and my current insurance for it is with a motorhome company, so I need to insure it for commuting etc. Will a normal car insurance company insure it, considering it’s not just a big basic car. It’s registered as an M1 motorhome class

I’d stick to a camper van insurance company rather than a “normal car” insurer. If nothing else, they understand the “modifications” and that a camper is worth more than a panel van of the same model/year etc.
you will have to tell them about the commuting obv.

About 15 years ago you would pay a massive preimum for using a campervan for 'normal' driving. Many policies had specific exclusions for commuting to a normal place of work. No idea why, perhaps because accident repairs are more expensive?

About 15 years ago you would pay a massive preimum for using a campervan for 'normal' driving. Many policies had specific exclusions for commuting to a normal place of work. No idea why, perhaps because accident repairs are more expensive?
I expect it will be expensive, unfortunately. I’m specifically forbidden from using my camper van for commuting.

But I think it’s the extra mileage and commuting that adds to the risk rather than it being a camper.

Got a quote which is cheaper than my car, so I’m going to start using it daily and sell my car, but it does have some bits and pieces I want to fix up first

Back
Top Bottom