Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anti racist campaigners call for boycott of the Duke of Wellington pub, Notting Hill

editor

hiraethified
(Picture: Stand Up to Racism) Amazingly powerful #Justice4El protest last night - a disgrace that Duke of Wellington Pub in Ladbroke Grove failed so badly in its duty of care when a a young black member of staff was racially abused & assaulted - if management don?t speak to the family protestors will return!

Shocking stuff. Anyone been to this pub? Great to see the community coming out in force in response.

Anti-racist campaigners are boycotting a pub after a young black barman was attacked by six white men. The young barman was nearing the end of his night shift at the Duke of Wellington pub in Notting Hill when the group of men began racially abusing him. The men attacked him in a back room of the upmarket pub on Portobello Road, before robbing some jewellery. The young man’s mother said no customers or staff came to his aid, while accusing the Young’s brewery pub of failing to protect her son. She led hundreds of protesters on Saturday in a demonstration, calling on the pub to ‘say no to racist thugs’. The protesters held up ‘shame on you’ placards that demanded justice for her son.
Read more: Pub boycott after black barman attacked by six white men

Was there years back, think it's some kind of gastro nonsense these days. Hope the bastards get a lengthy jail sentence.

I’m not sure boycotting the pub is sensible - it punishes the staff, and Young’s are supporting their member of staff.
This. The pub got robbed too. I really don't think anyone can expect other staff or customers to get physically involved in preventing robberies. Unless there's some information missing from the article the boycott is ridiculous. Wtf are the protestors asking for?

Last edited:
I’m not sure boycotting the pub is sensible - it punishes the staff, and Young’s are supporting their member of staff.
Surely if the pub is boycotted by right-thinking punters it becomes somewhere that fascists can meet up with impunity and that puts the pub at further risk?

Eta- am agreeing with you not arguing, obvs.

Surely if the pub is boycotted by right-thinking punters it becomes somewhere that fascists can meet up with impunity and that puts the pub at further risk?

Tbh I’m never going to go there anyway boycott or no boycott

It's a bit of a cliché but it's really not an area where you'd expect this to happen. It's a culturally very mixed part of town in the shadow of Grenfell, with a thriving tourist trade. My bet would be that the scumbags responsible are blow-ins from somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom