Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Almost planet-sized Comet 2014 UN271 (Bernardinelli-Bernstein), due 2031

2hats

Dust.
Nice target for an interplanetary mission and kind enough to provide sufficient heads up (currently 29AU out - roughly the minimum Earth-Neptune distance). Signs of coma/outgassing already detected. May well prove to be the largest ever recorded comet.

From the discovery team:

Coming Soon to your nearest Woo vendor:
AGGGGHHHHHH it's Nibiru, it's the Endtimes, we all going to die, so give me all of your money.

Reactions: Ax^
Now officially known as Comet Bernardinelli-Bernstein. The above graphic shows (mainly) the outer solar system only (Mars is the small inner red orbit). As per the first post, this comet will come no closer to Earth than 9AU, ie the typical distance Saturn is from the Earth, reaching perihelion on January 23, 2031, at 10.95 AU.

If so inclined, you can explore the orbit here.

I can see Mars and Venus pretty clearly some times with the naked eye, this thing seems to cross our path closer than Mars does.

Can you see Ceres with the naked eye? It's much bigger than this comet and located much nearer, between Mars and Jupiter.

Can you see Ceres with the naked eye? It's much bigger than this comet and located much nearer, between Mars and Jupiter.

Ceres never out-gasses significantly, though. As the comet moves closer to the sun, stuff like nitrogen and whatnot is going to start sublimating.

I suppose getting a mission together in 10 years is pretty viable these days? Lander?

Back
Top Bottom