Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Agency/ CV / direct contact with employer query

danski

"vibey"
So I applied for a job yesterday via an agency and did a quick CV on their site for them to send over. (I don’t have one as I’ve been doing the same thing for the same firm for 18 years and that alone covers all they need to know)

What I’m wondering is if I should now contact them direct as I know several people they have worked with and just kind of want to cut out the agency.

It would be totally normal to make unsolicited contact but just wonder if they’ve already got my application via the agency, it might seem pushy.
Dunno.

This is for an electrician’s job on a rival firm to the one I’ve just left.

Many thanks for any input :)

Yeah, go for it ...

You could phrase it as you just wanted to make sure they had all the information they needed ?

How they react might depend on how they are tied up with the agency. Some agents will charge the employer for "introductions" and again if you appoint one of their stable, even if the new guy sent their stuff in directly and after the employer told the agency the job was now filled ... as in the first person left almost at once or didn't start.
[When that happened to me - and I hadn't asked the agency for anything ! so had no "contract" with them - there was quite the row. Turned out the agency was billing all and sundry for largely spurious accounts / placements.]

It’s a definite no from me. You might get lucky but chances are the companies relationship with the agency is stronger than theirs with you. You would look dodgy trying to cut out the company who found you the role.

What's the worst that can happen?

I once worked through an agency. One gig was the bulk of my work. It was steady, and reasonably paid. I submitted my work through an agency executive, but also had direct contact with the people at the company for whom the work was done.

One day one of the senior people at the company contacted me and invited me to the company's headquarters (in another country).

They flew me out, I met their various teams, and had a meeting with the boss. They asked how I would feel working direct to them instead of through the agency. I wasn't contractually restrained so I said I would be happy to do so. We agreed terms (roughly double my rate from the agency, with more autonomy), and I flew back.

I didn't hide what I was doing, the agency boss had a hissy fit, accused me of soliciting and dumped me 🤷

I worked direct for the company for about 2 years after that, and made a lot more money, and found it more stimulating, than if I had stuck with the agency.

I do most of my work via agencies (IT). They are sharks. Never trust a word they say.

In the IT world, if a job is posted online and an agent approaches me, they probably found the job online and went looking for candidates.

Your industry might be nicer.

What's the worst that can happen?

I once worked through an agency. One gig was the bulk of my work. It was steady, and reasonably paid. I submitted my work through an agency executive, but also had direct contact with the people at the company for whom the work was done.

One day one of the senior people at the company contacted me and invited me to the company's headquarters (in another country).

They flew me out, I met their various teams, and had a meeting with the boss. They asked how I would feel working direct to them instead of through the agency. I wasn't contractually restrained so I said I would be happy to do so. We agreed terms (roughly double my rate from the agency, with more autonomy), and I flew back.

I didn't hide what I was doing, the agency boss had a hissy fit, accused me of soliciting and dumped me 🤷

I worked direct for the company for about 2 years after that, and made a lot more money, and found it more stimulating, than if I had stuck with the agency.
3D05497D-F052-4502-B4DD-B7DFB3D7A53D.gif
:thumbs:

In my experience it can backfire if you do it without mentioning you have already applied through agency and have signed a contract registered etc
Especially if its a large company with an on site agency representative which usually means they have a big staff turnover or rely on the agency to find staff quick as and when workload increases etc
I did similar once and once there it wasnt long before I was spotted and agency rep knew I was registered and they had put me forward for a temp to perm role

The agency had a long term deal with the company and in that case they agreed that the company pay them a percentage for 12 weeks if I stayed for 12 weeks even though the company had took me on temp to perm with very little consultation with me they then transferred me to the agency payroll and although I protested the Human Resources had a very solid long term contract with various penalties for the company

Agency onsite then messed me around and despite the manager wanting to keep me human resources finished me after 10 weeks in the trial due to "too many errors" totally untrue , the production manager although he tried unable to have be back direct for another role without paying agency £3000 or more depending on wage

Head office said I couldn't apply direct without that payment due to agency contract for at least 12 months and throughout this haggling barely spoke to me and blacklisted me after

Guess its different if you havent yet signed a contract with the agency if you have best to read it in full as despite what the manager knew , wanted and me being easily able to do the job , the connection terms with the agency and any "fines" fees etc was the most important

It was a few years back now but soured what may have been a good relationship between me and the company and a lost opportunity so Id say IF contracted to the agency and they get you an interview suffer your 12 weeks temp to perm and speak to H.R once in , there are rules in place now anyway regarding agency staff day 1 and week 12 rules , same pay as perm , bonuses etc after that date

My advice for what its worth Dont sign ANY contract with the agency or register unless they get you in , ask about any other options at interview and if they don't get you an interview quickly visit the company or send them speculative cv and details then
I have though in the past visited a company on their break time after finding out cafe they used :D and spoke to supervisor through other employees I knew off the record and went in direct after agency recruiter gave me the company details before interview and before signing their contract turning down THIER interview as busy :thumbs:

Usually though they don't disclose the company until interview secured in my industry and then the rules , transfer fees etc kick in I really hate agency bullshit as do shop floor managers who just want decent happy reliable staff so good luck

After 12 weeks in the same job, agency workers are entitled to equal treatment as if they had been recruited directly by the hirer. This includes key elements of pay, but also other entitlements such as annual leave.

Last edited:
In my experience it can backfire if you do it without mentioning you have already applied through agency and have signed a contract registered etc
Especially if its a large company with an on site agency representative which usually means they have a big staff turnover or rely on the agency to find staff quick as and when workload increases etc
I did similar once and once there it wasnt long before I was spotted and agency rep knew I was registered and they had put me forward for a temp to perm role

The agency had a long term deal with the company and in that case they agreed that the company pay them a percentage for 12 weeks if I stayed for 12 weeks even though the company had took me on temp to perm with very little consultation with me they then transferred me to the agency payroll and although I protested the Human Resources had a very solid long term contract with various penalties for the company

Agency onsite then messed me around and despite the manager wanting to keep me human resources finished me after 10 weeks in the trial due to "too many errors" totally untrue , the production manager although he tried unable to have be back direct for another role without paying agency £3000 or more depending on wage

Head office said I couldn't apply direct without that payment due to agency contract for at least 12 months and throughout this haggling barely spoke to me and blacklisted me after

Guess its different if you havent yet signed a contract with the agency if you have best to read it in full as despite what the manager knew , wanted and me being easily able to do the job , the connection terms with the agency and any "fines" fees etc was the most important

It was a few years back now but soured what may have been a good relationship between me and the company and a lost opportunity so Id say IF contracted to the agency and they get you an interview suffer your 12 weeks temp to perm and speak to H.R once in , there are rules in place now anyway regarding agency staff day 1 and week 12 rules , same pay as perm , bonuses etc after that date

My advice for what its worth Dont sign ANY contract with the agency or register unless they get you in , ask about any other options at interview and if they don't get you an interview quickly visit the company or send them speculative cv and details then
I have though in the past visited a company on their break time after finding out cafe they used :D and spoke to supervisor through other employees I knew off the record and went in direct after agency recruiter gave me the company details before interview and before signing their contract turning down THIER interview as busy :thumbs:

Usually though they don't disclose the company until interview secured in my industry and then the rules , transfer fees etc kick in I really hate agency bullshit as do shop floor managers who just want decent happy reliable staff so good luck

After 12 weeks in the same job, agency workers are entitled to equal treatment as if they had been recruited directly by the hirer. This includes key elements of pay, but also other entitlements such as annual leave.
Thanks for that detail, although, I’m a subcontractor generally working on price so I’m not sure it would apply.
I imagine if they use me, they’ll pay a fee but beyond that, I don’t know.

Waiting for a call from them right now as it happens. They replied to the email I sent :thumbs:

Thanks for that detail, although, I’m a subcontractor generally working on price so I’m not sure it would apply.
I imagine if they use me, they’ll pay a fee but beyond that, I don’t know.

Waiting for a call from them right now as it happens. They replied to the email I sent :thumbs:
Ah yeah Agenicies also do a thing called umbrella system these days fr company recruitment to make earnings from sub contractor workers maintenance , plumbers etc whereby they pay your tax insurance and charge a fee
Same agency registered as a sister company different name sometimes bringing the offer back down to paye rates or sometimes leaving YOU owing HMRC
Its worth looking into theyve got a finger in every pie and spoiling things sadly now so its worth knowing its quite different :thumbs:

Working through an umbrella company

All the best see link above its always best to avoid agency or get away as fast as you can and go direct but I suppose they still open doors

Great you got a call all the best :thumbs:

Last edited:
Best of luck danski, hope it pans out!

I have been working for the same firm for 18 years now and am currently trying to motivate myself to write a CV and move on, so good to see someone else is doing it at least :)

Back
Top Bottom