Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Acid House Future Past - 1988 to infinity and beyond.

spitfire

Walty McWaltface
A thread for rememberancing, nostalgic throwbacks, flyers, mixtapes, tunes, goons, DJ's; dead or alive, articles of note, cool stuff, sad stuff, funny stuff, blissful stuff and how it went down in places you never were but someone else was having it large.

Deliberately different from Mint raves..., much more general.

I'll kick it off with a couple of bits...

The story of Andy Weatherall's early days. Mostly glossing over the North/South massive ding dong over the home of acid house that happily passed me by until relatively recently. Who knew?!?

PLAYLIST!

My personal favourite club, great article here.

The%20End10.jpg

Interesting articles.
The buildings where The End was are still empty I think?

Yes it is, in a bizarre coincidence the ex operations manager (now a licensing consultant), works for the billionaire that owns it and managed to gain access a couple of years back, it's in a right old state.

Found some excellent floor drugs on many nights at The End, especially on the stairs on the way out. Also found a massive wrap of coke on the charlie shelf in one of the toilet cubicles. Don’t know what it was about the club that made people so absent-minded!
And then there was the sound system and the music….

This might be good, looks pretty old. Where it all began.

Related, I'm about halfway through this, it's pretty in depth and a bit dry but interesting.

Opening with David Mancuso’s seminal Love Saves the Day Valentine’s party, Tim Lawrence tells the definitive story of American dance music culture in the 1970s–from its subterranean roots in NoHo and Hell’s Kitchen to its gaudy blossoming in midtown Manhattan to its wildfire transmission through America’s suburbs and urban hotspots such as Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Newark and Miami.

Tales of nocturnal journeys, radical music making and polymorphous sexuality flow through the arteries of Love Saves the Day like hot liquid vinyl. They are interspersed with a detailed examination of the era’s most powerful DJs, the venues in which they played, and the records they loved to spin–as well as the labels, musicians, vocalists, producers, remixers, party promoters, journalists, and dance crowds that fuelled dance music’s tireless engine.

Love Saves the Day includes material from over three hundred original interviews with the scene’s most influential players, including David Mancuso, Nicky Siano, Tom Moulton, Loleatta Holloway, Giorgio Moroder, Francis Grasso, Frankie Knuckles and Earl Young. It incorporates more than twenty special DJ discographies–listing the favourite records of the most important spinners of the disco decade – and a more general discography cataloguing some 600 releases. Love Saves the Day also contains a unique collection of more than seventy rare photos.

This might be good, looks pretty old. Where it all began.

Related, I'm about halfway through this, it's pretty in depth and a bit dry but interesting.

Opening with David Mancuso’s seminal Love Saves the Day Valentine’s party, Tim Lawrence tells the definitive story of American dance music culture in the 1970s–from its subterranean roots in NoHo and Hell’s Kitchen to its gaudy blossoming in midtown Manhattan to its wildfire transmission through America’s suburbs and urban hotspots such as Chicago, Boston, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Newark and Miami.

Tales of nocturnal journeys, radical music making and polymorphous sexuality flow through the arteries of Love Saves the Day like hot liquid vinyl. They are interspersed with a detailed examination of the era’s most powerful DJs, the venues in which they played, and the records they loved to spin–as well as the labels, musicians, vocalists, producers, remixers, party promoters, journalists, and dance crowds that fuelled dance music’s tireless engine.

Love Saves the Day includes material from over three hundred original interviews with the scene’s most influential players, including David Mancuso, Nicky Siano, Tom Moulton, Loleatta Holloway, Giorgio Moroder, Francis Grasso, Frankie Knuckles and Earl Young. It incorporates more than twenty special DJ discographies–listing the favourite records of the most important spinners of the disco decade – and a more general discography cataloguing some 600 releases. Love Saves the Day also contains a unique collection of more than seventy rare photos.

You may dig his podcast, alongside Jem Gilbert:

I absolutely loved Love Saves the Day, definitely the definitive book on NYC nightlife… I’ve got the follow up Love and Death on the New York Dance Floor (which is actually the book pictured in your post) but haven’t got round to reading it yet

Some love for the Chicago House originators the Hot Mix 5.

Put together by 102.7FM WBMX radio programmer Lee Michaels in 1981 they were a DJ team of: Farley "Jackmaster" Funk, Mickey "Mixin" Oliver, Scott "Smokin" Silz, Ralphi Rosario and Kenny "Jammin" Jason. Originally they were supposed to be the Hot Mix 6, but Jeff Davis didn't show up for the initial meeting.

They recorded two mixes per week of the latest dance sounds which went out on Friday nights with “The Friday Night Jams” and Saturday nights with “The Saturday Night Live Ain’ No Jive Chicago Dance Party“. At their peak it's estimated (boasted?) that up to a million people would tune in to WBMX for the shows. The DJs were also contracted to play live DJ sets in Chicago Friday and Saturday nights. They did as much as anyone to make house music into what it became.

In 1984 Scott "Smokin" Silz had had enough and left. His replacement was decided by a battle of the DJs:

battle-photo.jpg

The winner was Julian Jumpin’ Perez, though that finalist from the South Side ended up doing some guest mixes.

Once house music hit big the Hot Mix 5 set up a record label for the DJs to release their own productions.

Here's a fucking awesome mix of not-quite-house-music-yet by Ralphi Rosario from 1984:

Some love for the Chicago House originators the Hot Mix 5.

Put together by 102.7FM WBMX radio programmer Lee Michaels in 1981 they were a DJ team of: Farley "Jackmaster" Funk, Mickey "Mixin" Oliver, Scott "Smokin" Silz, Ralphi Rosario and Kenny "Jammin" Jason. Originally they were supposed to be the Hot Mix 6, but Jeff Davis didn't show up for the initial meeting.

They recorded two mixes per week of the latest dance sounds which went out on Friday nights with “The Friday Night Jams” and Saturday nights with “The Saturday Night Live Ain’ No Jive Chicago Dance Party“. At their peak it's estimated (boasted?) that up to a million people would tune in to WBMX for the shows. The DJs were also contracted to play live DJ sets in Chicago Friday and Saturday nights. They did as much as anyone to make house music into what it became.

In 1984 Scott "Smokin" Silz had had enough and left. His replacement was decided by a battle of the DJs:

battle-photo.jpg

The winner was Julian Jumpin’ Perez, though that finalist from the South Side ended up doing some guest mixes.

Once house music hit big the Hot Mix 5 set up a record label for the DJs to release their own productions.

Here's a fucking awesome mix of not-quite-house-music-yet by Ralphi Rosario from 1984:

That's something else that mix, I flicked through it and it's all there isn't it!

Enjoyed the Weatherall piece. Lots of interesting side stories from the period. I hadn't realised he'd been around so early, not having been old enough myself. I'm glad they're brave enough to be honest about when some of his later stuff didn't always hit the mark too.

I've recently been reading up about Zanzibar, new jersey club with a legacy which includes the birthing the Jersey Sound....gospel garage soulful house sound...this is a great oral history piece

Beginners guide to the sound

Theres a few classic tunes out there with "Zanzibar Mixes"

I've recently been reading up about Zanzibar, new jersey club with a legacy which includes the birthing the Jersey Sound....gospel garage soulful house sound...this is a great oral history piece

Beginners guide to the sound

Theres a few classic tunes out there with "Zanzibar Mixes"

I find it funny how when the Jersey Sound was introduced to the UK it was called Garage by people failing to distinguish between New Jersey and New York, between what was played at the Zanzibar and the Paradise Garage. It mentions it in the Mixmag article there.

Just think, if the people who named the Garage Trax comps had been better at geography, less handwavey about where the music came from we could've seen Speed Jersey music develop in the UK, before turning into UK Jersey, or UKJ for short...

Enjoyed the Weatherall piece. Lots of interesting side stories from the period. I hadn't realised he'd been around so early, not having been old enough myself. I'm glad they're brave enough to be honest about when some of his later stuff didn't always hit the mark too.

This just popped up on FB Balearic Burger group.

I find it funny how when the Jersey Sound was introduced to the UK it was called Garage by people failing to distinguish between New Jersey and New York, between what was played at the Zanzibar and the Paradise Garage. It mentions it in the Mixmag article there.

Just think, if the people who named the Garage Trax comps had been better at geography, less handwavey about where the music came from we could've seen Speed Jersey music develop in the UK, before turning into UK Jersey, or UKJ for short...
True though looking at a map Newark looks like new York to me, like the difference between East and West London ??
I'm sure loads of the same tunes got played at the paradise garage too ??

Aww shit. That's really sad :(

As Get Fucked, Housey Doingz & Two Right Wrongans, on Eukatech, Pagan & Wiggle labels, Nathan Coles' name was all over the records I was buying at the end of the 90s, like some kind of quality mark.

Get Fucked ‎– Get F--Ked On Fishcakes

Housey Doingz - Kitchen Spasm

Two Right Wrongans - System Error

RIP

general history thread right?
this is quite fun, very mixmag-ish view of 98 uk clubland

theres a vibe there for sure

Absolutely, perfect.

I keep seeing these articles and videos popping up on twitter and the like, thought it might be an idea for a repository thread.

How they made Jilted.

(I understood about half of it, it's pretty technical. :D )

interesting article!
i was chatting to an old head producer last week and we got talking about samplers, the early akais (s900, s2000) and how you cant reproduce their sound with VSTs...he said one technique that people dont try now is speeding the sample source up when first sampling it and then playing it down an octave to get it to the right speed - this was a technique born of the limited sampler space as fast samples are shorter, but it added a subtle grain to play it down an octave.

probably that just reduces the bit rate but im not good on science aspects

as to tuning kicks and bass i cannot recommend this plug in enough, to use for both basslines and kicks, and the tuning aspect is so visually clear there's no going back for me (just discovered it over xmas)

Back
Top Bottom