Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Academics who need vetting before studying them, thread.

Serene

Slightly disgruntled
As a relative newcomer to Academic people, I found out that they need vetting before studying them, as it seems some have skeletons in their closet. I saw a book for sale cheap at a second hand shop, called " the book of the dead ", it isnt the ancient one, it is this one.

The QI Book of the Dead - Wikipedia

I noticed that Epicurus got a good review. Before I read anymore on him, does anyone have anything about him? Has he had a statue ripped down or anything?

He famously said sex is a waste of time and no good can come of it. Consequently he went on to the create the first aroace flag, which is now a staple of Pride parades the world over, so definitely not a primary target for statue razing.

He famously said sex is a waste of time and no good can come of it. Consequently he went on to the create the first aroace flag, which is now a staple of Pride parades the world over, so definitely not a primary target for statue razing.
Thats a word I havent ever heard. You appear to be academic. Thanks for that.

As a relative newcomer to Academic people, I found out that they need vetting before studying them, as it seems some have skeletons in their closet. I saw a book for sale cheap at a second hand shop, called " the book of the dead ", it isnt the ancient one, it is this one.

I noticed that Epicurus got a good review. Before I read anymore on him, does anyone have anything about him? Has he had a statue ripped down or anything?
Google is your friend in this case.

What do you mean by "academic people"? Are you sure Academic is the word you mean?

He is one of the good guys. I’ve read bits and pieces just enough to convince myself that I’d have been one of the kids hanging out in his garden, learning a sort of cheerful stoicism, eating bread and water. Which included women as I recall which was pretty radical of him too.

Yes google is helpful. I have a lot of studies going on at the moment and it is better for me to ask. There are some well educated posters in here.
If time is your issue a read of his wiki entry could be useful . All i can say is he seemed a decent chap for his times from what I remember of my philosophy course but its been a long while since then.

3 things I know about Epicurus:

(1) he had an early physicalist account of the universe (he believed in something like atoms)

(2) he was one of the first proponents of hedonism (the good life is about pleasure and avoidance of suffering)

(3) he believed death is not a harm (he coined a phrase along the lines of ‘where I am death is not and where death is I am not’). This last contribution has spawned a huge literature. Like the most intriguing philosophical arguments, it has very counterintuitive implications but is not easy to refute.

Why on earth would you avoid reading someone because of their moral character?

Back
Top Bottom