Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A simple garden pond.

What plants have you got in there :)

The main plant in the pic is a water iris. You can also see duckweed ( a "weed") in the pond, and anything else around the pond in the pic is just nature. Not pictured: I have a pygmy lily & dwarf spearwort in the pond, also some watercress that I threw in, and creeping jenny and outside the pond, growing in to it.

Yeah we have duck weed and it took over a bit so need to keep on top of it. It's a "pond' we made ourselves. Might try to add a bit more. We live in walled enclosed gardens so finding it hard to get hedgehogs and frogs in. Might cut a hole in the garden door to make a pathway and hopefully the landlord won't notice.

Yeah we have duck weed and it took over a bit so need to keep on top of it. It's a "pond' we made ourselves. Might try to add a bit more. We live in walled enclosed gardens so finding it hard to get hedgehogs and frogs in. Might cut a hole in the garden door to make a pathway and hopefully the landlord won't notice.

The saving graces of duck weed are that it's easy to remove and that it keeps blanket weed down. Blanket weed is a total nightmare.

The saving graces of duck weed are that it's easy to remove and that it keeps blanket weed down. Blanket weed is a total nightmare.

If you start seeing blanket weed, literally chuck in a bag or two of watercress this will suck up the excess nutrients and balance out the system.

I’m making a pond on my friend’s allotment. It’s not going to be very big, about 1m wide and 1.25m long, roughly oval.
Going for a 2.5x2m pond liner because that’s the smallest available.

Any pointers on how much sand will be needed to line it?
Edited to clarify, it’s sand to go under the pond liner to stop it getting punctured.

Removed iris from pond for being too big, blocking light from other plants, and being prone to getting blown over in the wind. Replaced with a forget-me-not.

Iris will get its own pot, which I can also dump duckweed (and the critters that hide in it) in. I haven't even witnessed the iris flower properly yet.

PXL_20220521_120534719.jpgPXL_20220521_120553482.jpg

Removed iris from pond for being too big, blocking light from other plants, and being prone to getting blown over in the wind. Replaced with a forget-me-not.

Iris will get its own pot, which I can also dump duckweed (and the critters that hide in it) in. I haven't even witnessed the iris flower properly yet.

View attachment 323469View attachment 323470
Yeah one of the irises in my pond keeps blowing over but I hesitate to remove it because of advice I received that doing may be disruptive to the frogs at this time of year. What did you do with them while you removed it?

Yeah one of the irises in my pond keeps blowing over but I hesitate to remove it because of advice I received that doing may be disruptive to the frogs at this time of year. What did you do with them while you removed it?

My iris is in a pot, so just whipped the pot out & replaced with the forget-me-not pot. No big deal.

Added some willow moss a few days ago to try and control the duckweed, it hasn't really worked. There's no algae in there Fortunately

Yeah unfortunately one of the irises has tipped over and keeps blowing over. Seems to be Bathsheba's hangout though so will probably keep it for another few weeks

Yeah unfortunately one of the irises has tipped over and keeps blowing over. Seems to be Bathsheba's hangout though so will probably keep it for another few weeks

Is yours in a pot? I think my frogs prefer the forget-me-not, as one often sits inside the pot (as in the pic).

Is yours in a pot? I think my frogs prefer the forget-me-not, as one often sits inside the pot (as in the pic).
Yes it is. I've seen her and other frogs sitting inside the tipped over pot. They also like the space between the pots and the side of the pond.

Just moved into a house with a garden pond. What the fuck do I do with it? Might post some pics and get advice. Cat has fallen in it twice already. :facepalm:
What did you do in the end? If you do fill it in consider creating a smaller one like sinking a plastic tub into the ground, or something the cat cant get in as easily? They're a lifeline for amphibians which are becoming endangered,

If it's still there maybe plant some stuff around the edge making it more difficult to access or put a ramp going in an out to make it easier for the cat if they do fall in again.

I need to reinstate a pond of some kind 🤔

I think a round or square shape would suit the garden style best so some sort of container. I'd quite like to avoid a lot of digging due to tree roots and buried hardcore, but for wildlife access I'll probably need to sink it into the ground really I suppose.

So I'm now starting to wonder if this ^ frog is actually dead. It's still in the same position, when I would expect it to hide for hibernation? If it's dead, I should probably remove ASAP so it doesn't start decaying in the pond... Should I poke it to see if it responds? :eek:

Just fished 2 more dead frogs from my pond. Gutted. They've probably been dead a while. Dunno if it's to do with the pond being frozen over a while (though this happened a few years back without any dead frogs) or if the water quality has really dropped after a couple of years. :(

Just fished 2 more dead frogs from my pond. Gutted. They've probably been dead a while. Dunno if it's to do with the pond being frozen over a while (though this happened a few years back without any dead frogs) or if the water quality has really dropped after a couple of years. :(
Yes, they can't get to oxygen if the ice totally covers the pond surface. I think my dad had the same problem and uses something to provide an escape hole for the frogs wintering in the pond.

Back
Top Bottom