Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A simple garden pond.

That's looking ace. If you can get someone to donate some pond sludge it will really add a lot of wildlife. You've got lots of space for aquatic plants there too. Banded horsetail, golden club are 2 of my faves as I've said before

Thanks,

Yes got donor sludge on the way from two ponds. Plus neighbours have said we can have some of their (frog) spawn next spring.

My pond is starting to fill up with bugs! Lots of rat-tailed maggots eating the algae at the moment & spotted my first snail today. Maybe I didn't need to order the daphnia?? No more amphibians right now, but it's been pleasing just watching these other beasties move in!

My pond is starting to fill up with bugs! Lots of rat-tailed maggots eating the algae at the moment & spotted my first snail today. Maybe I didn't need to order the daphnia?? No more amphibians right now, but it's been pleasing just watching these other beasties move in!
Rat tailed maggots you say? Them's could be hoverfly larvae :cool: hoverflies are AEWSOME.

Rat tailed maggots you say? Them's could be hoverfly larvae :cool: hoverflies are AEWSOME.

Yeah, pretty sure that's what they are. There were a couple of hoverflies around the pod earlier. I don't know about awesome, but they are apparently essential pollinators..

I have no idea where I'd collect from. Not meant to collect from other ponds anyway (I think?).
If you know someone with a Pond in the garden you could ask them for some in the spring. You would need about half a jam jar worth (roughly a medium clump of frog spawn with some water).

If you know someone with a Pond in the garden you could ask them for some in the spring. You would need about half a jam jar worth (roughly a medium clump of frog spawn with some water).

Not advised, as apparently it's a good way to spread disease (and invasive plants - though I might already have duckweed :hmm: ). There's a particular funghal infection which is really bad/fatal for amphibians.

I already want to upgrade my pond, though I'm going to force myself to live with this for a year to see how it goes. I like to grow raspberries & foxgloves in that area, so realistically can only go 2 - 3 times bigger - but should be enough to allow me more options for plants.

First day in a long time I haven't seen the frog. I suspect something has happened to it. :( Anyway, took advantage of the 'empty' pond to skim off all the blanket weed and other bits of rubbish. Will be interesting to see if another frog claims it; I know another one has been around at the same time.

First day in a long time I haven't seen the frog. I suspect something has happened to it. :( Anyway, took advantage of the 'empty' pond to skim off all the blanket weed and other bits of rubbish. Will be interesting to see if another frog claims it; I know another one has been around at the same time.
It might be at the bottom of the pond where it is cooler. My parents' pond has frogs most of the time but they like hanging out at the bottom of the pond when it's warm.

In pond news today.. I went out to find my pond completely empty except for maybe 6" of water that the fish were just about surviving in. The pipe to the filter box had been knocked off somehow... Probably by a cat jumping on it so that pump had just emptied in, probably in a matter of minutes!! Luckily it can't drain totally so was able to fill it back up. Hope they survive the tap water needed to do that!

DSC_1768.JPG

It's in the ground now! Water needs to clear, needs blended into surrounding area & maybe more plants. Threw some supermarket watercress in ( cheap option) and ordered mini water lily ( not cheap option).

It's still a mini-pond, but I now think it's the right size for the area. Grow raspberries & foxgloves in that area & also want to create a log pile for animals to shelter in.

IMG_20200829_181738.jpg

Does the little clay igloo have a use, or is it ornamental?

And I never knew you could chuck watercress in your pond, I thought it was a running water thing

Had to take it out and put it back in again due to not levelling it properly. :oops: Think it's stocked now with all the plants I'm going to put in it. Need to soften the edges though. There's some ivy nearby which might eventually do that naturally, or I could plant some creeping Jenny next to the pond. IMG_20200906_122843.jpg

Back
Top Bottom