Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A simple garden pond.

I thought I had this all figured out, but not so sure now... My liner arrived today. I guess the thing that concerns me the most is how to get a gradual slope in the container I have.
If it's just for wildlife to escape you could just put a plank of wood in for them to climb up.

Important for toads and stuff to be able access dry land. Have seen a deep fake pond full of dead amphibians as they could get in but not rest anywhere in it or escape

I want to do this. But have (fingers crossed) veggies growing in the spot I have in mind so will have to wait till autumn. I have a very steep garden, so could possibly build in some sort of solar-powered waterfall thing. I really want to create a little oasis of calm, sit next to bubbling water surrounded by reeds. But I'm a bit nervous of creating something crap that just turns into a stinky stagnant algae soup surrounded by weeds.

I spotted a better (storage) box in Tesco today. Not quite as deep and a bit longer, so easier to make a decent slope. Didn't look to have any holes in it, but would probably line it anyway. Will have a look tomorrow at what size of stones are around the local river.

I want to do this. But have (fingers crossed) veggies growing in the spot I have in mind so will have to wait till autumn. I have a very steep garden, so could possibly build in some sort of solar-powered waterfall thing. I really want to create a little oasis of calm, sit next to bubbling water surrounded by reeds. But I'm a bit nervous of creating something crap that just turns into a stinky stagnant algae soup surrounded by weeds.

Bubbling water not good if you want a wildlife pond.

Bubbling water not good if you want a wildlife pond.
Really? Am sure I've read some movement is fine, keeps water healthier etc. Streams do tend to have wildlife after all. I am sure with a basic solar pump setup it will be unlikely to be torrents of water - but would be interested to read why it might be negative for wildlife.

Really? Am sure I've read some movement is fine, keeps water healthier etc. Streams do tend to have wildlife after all. I am sure with a basic solar pump setup it will be unlikely to be torrents of water - but would be interested to read why it might be negative for wildlife.

Think any sort of water movement will deter frogs and toads from laying spawn.

We use an old upturned black bin lid - in a nice , quiet but plant strewn bit of the garden by the fence. Fill it with water but rainfall and so on , got some frog spawn from a nearby neighbor and it seems to have worked OK as the tads seem happy enough. Memo to self - build a proper little pond.

Too many people over the years in our suburban idyll have removed them as "too much work - or too risky for our kids" , like tree planting , we need to do more in this area.

We have some native frogs anyway - the cat will bring some in - but does not harm them. Their colours vary from chocolate brown to olive green. Long stopped using snail pellets......

Our work in progress. To much duck weed? We have a small fountain that keeps the water moving. No real life in it! What could we plant around the edge? It's a very shady spot and has reeds to the left.

IMG_20200620_191209.jpg

Started mine today. Least fun part of it is trying to arrange stuff inside so critters don't drown. Maybe I'm just over-thinking? Probably going to need to find more rocks to aid with that and the "blending" of the pond into the surroundings. IMG_20200624_200612.jpg

Tbh I haven't asked.
I feel pervy enough watching them :hmm:
I went for a walk by a river a couple of months ago, and I was shocked at how horny they are. There were literally hundreds of them at it.

49565834551_3fcc23cb48_b.jpg

49565337278_a7226e915c_b.jpg

49566073542_1499d52eea_b.jpg

Our work in progress. To much duck weed? We have a small fountain that keeps the water moving. No real life in it! What could we plant around the edge? It's a very shady spot and has reeds to the left.

View attachment 218655
Duck weed is a bit of a pain on the whole. Tends to overcome water as yours has. You can net it out to get rid, I've had to do that in the past.

Frogs will only spawn where they were born. You'll need spawn in the spring to get resident froggos. I've heard of frogs spawning on wet lawns where there used to be a pond their homing instinct is so strong. Your pond looks great and perfect for wildlife though

I have no idea where I'd collect from. Not meant to collect from other ponds anyway (I think?).

Last edited:
I have no idea where I'd collect from. Not meant to collect from other ponds anyway (I think?).
When I made my first little nature pond I went to the local canal and scooped out a jar of muck and Beasties. Just enough to add some life that then can get a foot hold

Added a few branches for cover. Probably something I'm going to need to play around with to get right. Obviously there should be more shelter as the plants grow.

Attachments

• IMG_20200626_111144.jpg
    IMG_20200626_111144.jpg
    919.2 KB · Views: 14
I watered the garden a couple of days ago, including some trays of plants, and then sat down with my laptop in the dark on the patio. I kept hearing a strange sound of lapping water so I shone my phone light into the darkness and there was a fox having a drink from a tray.

It had never occurred to me to wonder where foxes get their drinking water.

Regarding the drinking/bathing needs of birds, I've realised from obsessively close observation of my bird bathing arrangements during lockdown that little birds need shallow water and/or a firm foothold. So a really easy to grip perch at water level for drinking, or a non-slip surface underfoot for bathing.

Back
Top Bottom