Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A look inside 190 Bowery - one of the last Manhattan buildings to resist gentrification

editor

hiraethified
I've passed this building loads of time and was wondering how long it would be before it was gentrified.

w1uz8jpqrydpnztmig0o.jpg

oc4v1ip79yurv4jw4pvo.jpg

For the past half century, 190 Bowery has been a legend. The six-story, 72-room former bank building on the fringes of SoHo looked like a war zone on the outside, crumbling and covered in graffiti. And the inside, the home of a photographer with insane real estate luck—well—nobody really knew what was inside. Until now.

Animal New York editor Bucky Turco recently spent three days inside 190 Bowery in a crazy attempt to capture the bohemian paradise before the building's new owner shredded its historic interior. The former owner, street photography icon Jay Maisel, had bought the building for $102,000 way back in 1966 when the Bowery was still a bit of a cesspool. But after spending decades saying no to money-hungry developers—after 190 Bowery served as Roy Lichtenstein's studio and its walls as Keith Haring's canvas—Maisel finally sold the 35,000-square-foot building for a cool $55 million. Now, the historic building will blend in with the rest of its recently gentrified surroundings.

http://gizmodo.com/inside-new-york-citys-most-mysterious-architectural-tim-1692121535

I think I saw an old Arena programme on the iPlayer last year about this building - what an amazing place!

Back
Top Bottom