Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

A couple of hours in Hull on a Sunday afternoon.

King Biscuit Time

I'll be near Hull this Sunday lunch time visiting an elderly relative. I've never actually been to Hull- is it worth popping in for the afternoon and if so what should I do there? Bear in mind this elderly relly visit is likely to be super miserable, so as much as I like mooching around decrepit buildings and post-industrial decline, this occasion calls for summat jolly.

... I like mooching around decrepit buildings and post-industrial decline...

You'd be easily satisfied in Hull! :D

swishy is right, though: much the Old Town is beautiful and well worth a wander. Some of the museums are worth a visit too - Maritime Museum (though that's a bit faded and in need of a refurb tbh), Wilberforce House, the Hull and East Riding Museum, Streetlife Museum and the Arctic Corsair - as is Ferens Art Gallery, if that's your sort of thing. The Deep is also excellent, though it's a tenner to get in and can be a bit crowded at weekends.

There are some tremendous pubs in the Old Town and surrounding areas if you fancy stopping for a pint. My favourite is The Minerva, which does an excellent lunch and a great pint, and is right on the waterfront with a great view up and down the Humber. IIRC a local folk club meet in there on Sunday afternoons, though, so it might be full of men with beards singing sea shanties. :hmm:

If you fancy getting out of the city centre the Avenues area is very pretty, and there are some great bars and eateries around Princes Avenue as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom