Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

28 killed in Swiss tunnel crash

It looks like extremely bad tunnel design.
_59058883_014252855-1.jpg

The coach appears to have travelled along the right hand wall of the tunnel
and collided head-on with the concrete wall that provides emergency access.
_59058458_014252814-1.jpg

That wall should surely have been painted yellow and black diagonal stripes or something.
For the driver it looks more like the back of a green coach in front.

So many dead and all survivors injured. It is very sad. :(

That dark green slab of concrete really does seem a weird thing to have in the middle of a tunnel. Why didn't they at least angle the thing with a gentle slope so vehicles would bounce of it instead?

I hate it when my offspring or ex goes off on a coach trip. It only takes a moment and they are all going to be in a nasty accident.

How old is the tunnel? The design is very unsual and I wouldnt expect to see it as part of modern design. You can't just have a concrete shear wall like that in the gloom of a tunnel. Sad sad story and some questions to be answered.

I caught a clip of the mangled coach on the news, and wondered how it got so damaged in a tunnel with no other vehicles involved. That pic up there provides the answer. :(

It must have been driven full tilt into that piece of concrete, reminiscent of Dodi and Diana, concrete pieces like that do not deform on impact.

Yeah I think it was a 100kph speed limit although the bus should have been going slower then that. Things happen to drivers at the wheel, they have heart attacks, they fall asleep, they get something in their eye, there are even a lot of accidents each year caused by drivers sneezing. There is no way that there should be a shear wall like that just there, that is a very poor design of road.

Yeah I think it was a 100kph speed limit although the bus should have been going slower then that. Things happen to drivers at the wheel, they have heart attacks, they fall asleep, they get something in their eye, there are even a lot of accidents each year caused by drivers sneezing. There is no way that there should be a shear wall like that just there, that is a very poor design of road.

According to this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17368242

BBC article said:
Police say the coach had just left the resort on the journey home and joined the A9 motorway at the Bois de Finges roundabout near Sierre, heading towards Sion and Lausanne.

After about 2km, at 2015 GMT, the coach veered to the right inside the Sierre motorway tunnel, went over the curb and into an emergency stop area.

The coach crashed head-on, "with extreme force" into the concrete wall where the emergency area ends, say police.

How old is the tunnel? The design is very unsual and I wouldnt expect to see it as part of modern design. You can't just have a concrete shear wall like that in the gloom of a tunnel. Sad sad story and some questions to be answered.

Apparently according to a BBC hack it is supposedly a modern safe design with uni-directional running and crash barriers etc.

The wall it hit was at the end of an "escape lane" which looks to have been nothing more than an extended lay-by. Perhaps it was intended to be a solid concrete wall so as to stop vehicles that have hopefully slowed on entering the escape lane from re-entering the traffic flow. However it's clearly a bad design, and every traffic engineer should be able to see that.

I hate it when my offspring or ex goes off on a coach trip. It only takes a moment and they are all going to be in a nasty accident.

Both my kids seem to be off on school coach trips in Europe at least once a year and there's always a nagging worry in the back of my mind too.

This is so desperately sad, so many children dying together in such a terrible way. It's heartbreaking.

As a parent this sort of news story makes my blood run cold, especially as our 4yr old heads off to his school everyday in a little minibus. Heartbreaking.

The pic of the green wall in the tunnel seems incomprehensible to me. How could that ever have been put there?

So it seems to have been a crash with a severe deceleration. I wonder if seat belts had an effect.
Had a look on one of the German newspaper websites: All the children were strapped in as required by (Oberstaats?) lawyers, but the momentum on impact was great enough to tear the seats from their fixing to the floor, so they died anyway.

They had picture of someones mum, waiting to find out if her child was dead. Fuck, fuck, fuck - I can't look at shit like that, it just breaks me open...my worst nightmare.

Had a look on one of the German newspaper websites: All the children were strapped in as required by (Oberstaats?) lawyers, but the momentum on impact was great enough to tear the seats from their fixing to the floor, so they died anyway.

That might explain why in one of the video pieces someone said that all the kids arms and legs were broken.

That might explain why in one of the video pieces someone said that all the kids arms and legs were broken.
One of the surviving girls said she got thrown forwards and wedged between 2 seats. And it wouldn't help that the crash would have happened too suddenly for anyone to have a chance of bracing as you would before crash landing (if there's time).

It is a pretty horrendous accident all round. Their schools and neighbourhoods are going to be devastated. Some of the parents are being bused out to Switzerland at the moment, they still don't know which kids were killed and which not.

My child is already talking about a skiing outing their school is arranging, very expensive but critically by coach!!

Horrific. The logic of having a lump of concrete that could be crashed into, part-way down a tunnel, does remind me of the un-crash-barriered concrete pillars in that tunnel in Paris as bad design. You can fit speed governors, seat belts, make sure people can't drive for too long, but sadly can't eliminate human frailty or error.

And to weltweit, all ski trips involve a fair bit of coach travel, due to it being impractical to build airports up mountains. Not taking the <anything> here, just pointing out.

Giles..

...And to weltweit, all ski trips involve a fair bit of coach travel, due to it being impractical to build airports up mountains. Not taking the <anything> here, just pointing out.

Giles..

I need to get a hold on just how safe or not coaches are as at the moment I am very concerned when I put anyone related to me on one.

I need to get a hold on just how safe or not coaches are as at the moment I am very concerned when I put anyone related to me on one.
Okay then weltweit, hold onto this: If terrible coach crashes happened all the time, it wouldn't be news and nobody would be shocked.

FWIW two similar coaches (carrying children from the same school) also went through that tunnel on the same day in the same direction before the one which crashed, and they reached their destination safely.

I don't really see this as a 'coach' issue - more of a bad bit of tunnel design?

That tunnel has been there for donkeys years and this is the first accident of its type in it.

To get into that right hand lane the coach did need to mount a curb.

Okay then weltweit, hold onto this: If terrible coach crashes happened all the time, it wouldn't be news and nobody would be shocked.

Sure, but just recently a coach went off a road in UK, turned over and killed a lot of its passengers.

FWIW two similar coaches (carrying children from the same school) also went through that tunnel on the same day in the same direction before the one which crashed, and they reached their destination safely.

They just seem to be in the news a lot recently and they all involve fatalitites.

I don't really see this as a 'coach' issue - more of a bad bit of tunnel design?

My thoughts also. We'll probably never know exactly, given that the driver and everyone sat at the front is dead, but having a concrete wall across part of the tunnel doesn't seem good design. Make it at an angle, so no-one can have a head-on, even if the driver has a heart attack! Reminds me of the un-crash-barriered concrete pillars in that tunnel in Paris, which looked stupidly dangerous even before MI6 and Prince Phil allegedly got involved (sorry for bad taste humour).

Giles..

Back
Top Bottom