Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

2018 Local Elections: Taking Back Lambeth Council

TalkingDrum

I have recently moved to Brixton, having lived in Vauxhall for over 20 years. I have been struck by the number of grassroots campaigns and movements that have been established in response to what is clearly a local council that is hell bent on stripping the assets and the heart out of the communities that these councillors were elected to serve. Housing, small businesses, culture - nothing is being left untouched by this current crop of Labour 'Champagne-Swilling' Councillors.

There have been protests, petitions, demonstrations and human chains, but my question is this....with the impending local elections coming up in 2018, why are these movements not coming together to form a local political party for the purposes of fielding true community guardians in the next elections?! Protest through marches and demonstrations is not enough to change the direction of travel that these Lambeth councillors have set us. The ballot box should be our real weapon of choice. Why do we not organise and oust these people as our councillors in the 2018 elections?

I have recently moved to Brixton, having lived in Vauxhall for over 20 years. I have been struck by the number of grassroots campaigns and movements that have been established in response to what is clearly a local council that is hell bent on stripping the assets and the heart out of the communities that these councillors were elected to serve. Housing, small businesses, culture - nothing is being left untouched by this current crop of Labour 'Champagne-Swilling' Councillors.

There have been protests, petitions, demonstrations and human chains, but my question is this....with the impending local elections coming up in 2018, why are these movements not coming together to form a local political party for the purposes of fielding true community guardians in the next elections?! Protest through marches and demonstrations is not enough to change the direction of travel that these Lambeth councillors have set us. The ballot box should be our real weapon of choice. Why do we not organise and oust these people as our councillors in the 2018 elections?

Some questions.

Under what "flag" would you have this organisation stand: As independents; as a new grouping; as members of a smaller national party such as the Greens?

Are you willing to get your hands dirty - I don't just mean canvassing and posting flyers, I mean digging up dirt and propagating it - and to go for the throat?

Are you prepared to risk the sort of vengeance some of the Cllrs and their council officer oppos can wreak on you?

Back
Top Bottom