Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

2 days in Birmingham

Hellsbells

World's best procrastinator
I grew up in Birmingham but haven't lived there for 20 years. Last time I visited was a very brief visit about 7 years ago. Anyway, am planning a 2 day visit over half term with my boyfriend, who's never been before & has the usual stereotypical view of it being crap.

What's good to do there these days? I know a few things I want to do - wander round town, the library, cannon hill park, maybe canal boat trip, visit harborne 'village' (where I grew up).
Any recommendations? Art galleries - are they still free?

Depends when you are coming and what you like doing but I would suggest in addition to all the stuff in town (the Library is a must by the way):

Digbeth Dining Club (which is at the Spotlight Club)
Bournville (perhaps canal walk to it from 5 ways or the University)
MAC visit (in Cannon Hill Park)
Mockingbird Theatre (Custard Factory)
Nicklin Unseen Exhibition (outside Snow Hill)
Film at either the Electric or the Everyman
Pop up cinema in Moseley (need to check in advance if anything is on)
Gig at the Hare & Hounds, Kings Heath
Clubbing at the Rainbow, Digbeth or PST also Digbeth. Depending on the date there is also Blagsta club night too!

You'll struggle to do it all in 2 days. You'll also be shocked at Harborne these days which is very gentrified - although there is a restaurant called the Butchers Social on the High Street which is excellent

Hellsbells

I'd also add Jewelry Quarter to the list. You can stroll round there, have a pint/eat, soak up some light industrial heritage etc.

Also, try a walk round Digbeth itself, the district, is well worth exploring through the old streets and factories before it's cleared away.

Also a walk out along the Grand Union Canal from Digbeth to Yardley or beyond, that will give you a real flavour of the older city.

Also, walk through the Aston University campus and have a look at the old streets beyond it. Some great pubs there

How much is a Birmingham bus fare these days? Or a day ticket?
I remember when it was 12p to get to school :( I feel so old!
Can you still get a 22 or 23 bus from outside the Cathedral in town to Harborne?

How much is a Birmingham bus fare these days? Or a day ticket?
I remember when it was 12p to get to school :( I feel so old!
Can you still get a 22 or 23 bus from outside the Cathedral in town to Harborne?

£2.20 on the bus or £4.00 for a day saver. If its the weekend you can also buy a pass that lets you on any bus, train or tram for £6 odd.

And yes those buses still go from Colmore Row!

There's a nice cafe down by the canal...does anyone know where I mean? It's like a little white house and you can sit right on the towpath. Near Brindley Place.

You mean £2.20 minimum fare?! :eek: That's London price, isn't it?!

One of the last times I got a Birmingham bus, I was thrown off for pretending to be a child and paying child fare :oops:

There's a nice cafe down by the canal...does anyone know where I mean? It's like a little white house and you can sit right on the towpath. Near Brindley Place.

By Gas Street Basin. Got heavily fined recently for bad hygiene iirc.

If you want a nice pub/meal try the Lord Clifden in Hockley, it's on the main drag that leads in/out of town (74/75 bus or Tram to Jewellery Qtr ) The Church Inn is only a few yards up the road and there's a nice big restaurant in between them. Not far from jewellery quarter too.
Both pubs are well laid back until the weekend then they get very lively.

I've heard there's a Northern Soul themed pub in Digbeth somewhere, The Night Out I think. Worth checking out if you like that sort of stuff, it's on my to do list, as is finding the Central Library open so I can have a look at the roof terrace.

What's happening with the library? They can't afford to keep it open normal hours anymore or something?

I grew up in Birmingham but haven't lived there for 20 years. Last time I visited was a very brief visit about 7 years ago. Anyway, am planning a 2 day visit over half term with my boyfriend, who's never been before & has the usual stereotypical view of it being crap.

What's good to do there these days? I know a few things I want to do - wander round town, the library, cannon hill park, maybe canal boat trip, visit harborne 'village' (where I grew up).
Any recommendations? Art galleries - are they still free?

HOUSE OF GOD.

Sorry for the shouting! Got a bit excited there!

Back
Top Bottom