Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Clifton Mansions former squats - background, 2011 evictions and latest news

editor

hiraethified
I've heard some strong rumours that local shopkeepers have been tipped off that there will be a large eviction of Clifton Mansions taking place on July 12th (or 14th?) at 8.30am.

As far as I know, the people living there haven't received any official notification.

Edit: eviction party starts 8pm Mon 11th - http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=215345531839847

a friend who lives there has heard this too, this is unlawful surely? How long have these buildings been occupied? Do the council have plans for them??

a friend who lives there has heard this too, this is unlawful surely? How long have these buildings been occupied? Do the council have plans for them??
I'm sure they have plenty of plans to flog them off to the nearest quick-buck-earning developer and kick out the long-term residents, some of whom have lived there for up to 15 years.

Friend of mine was in one for ages - not squatting - but some complicated stuff with them having been leased to a housing association. Was definitely paying rent. I know there was a court case but he eventually gave up on it due to wanting to move out of London anyway. There were a fair few in a similar position but I'm not sure what became of the court case.....

Friend of mine was in one for ages - not squatting - but some complicated stuff with them having been leased to a housing association. Was definitely paying rent. I know there was a court case but he eventually gave up on it due to wanting to move out of London anyway. There were a fair few in a similar position but I'm not sure what became of the court case.....
"short-life tenancies" perhaps

I'm sure they have plenty of plans to flog them off to the nearest quick-buck-earning developer and kick out the long-term residents, some of whom have lived there for up to 15 years.

Is there not an ownership issue when people are 'in situ' (sp) after X amount of years... they should be able to claim ownership? will check it out....

Not if there were short-life licences. Also, they keep moving the goal-posts when it comes to 'X'.

I thought they were squatting... And what I was thinking of may not work unless they kept records.. bills etc???

What is Adverse Possession?

Adverse possession is in layman’s terms what used to be known as squatters rights – If you can prove that for a minimum period of time (usually 12 years) you have had exclusive possession of a piece of land or a building you can apply to the Land Registry for the first registration of that title, this basically means you can apply to become the owner of the land. Adverse Possession is much simpler to do with unregistered land rather than land that is already registered. See here for information regarding claiming unregistered land. An alternative is to try and locate the owner of unregistered land which can be easier as you can buy the land and have it as your own immediately rather than waiting 12 years and then letting land registry decide if you should be entitled to own it.

I thought they were squatting... And what I was thinking of may not work unless they kept records.. bills etc???
I'd have to confirm, but most old squats were given short-lifes in the 80's. Still technically 'squatters' in that the licence grants no tenure, they don't even have to give you notice.

Btw, most short-lifes get umpteen notices to quit which never actually get actioned.

Im not too sure either but have sent feelers out... at the very least a crew should be easy enough to gather up in solidarity...

The police said it was to happen on 12 July but then when asked again they claimed to not know about it. I live in Clifton mansions for 5+ years and have, as have many others, communicated and co-operated with Lambeth council (well as much as I thought i should!) to hear of this eviction through word of mouth, with no written notice is a real shock. We have been trying to contact the council to get answers but they don't return my phone calls or reply to my emails.

We have already been to court and possession orders were granted but the council was sitting on them, allowing us to stay due to being "the devils they know". The council said they would give us a months notice, it's now less than 3 weeks!!!

I've hear the rumours too :( But I've heard the 12th rather than the 14th

I was told by shopkeeper that it was the 12th. The Police visited shopkeepers to tell them that the road would be blocked off and it would start at 8.30am

I'd have to confirm, but most old squats were given short-lifes in the 80's. Still technically 'squatters' in that the licence grants no tenure, they don't even have to give you notice.

Btw, most short-lifes get umpteen notices to quit which never actually get actioned.

As far as I know most of the London & Quadrant "Short Life" people went. The block has been mostly squatted.

The police said it was to happen on 12 July but then when asked again they claimed to not know about it. I live in Clifton mansions for 5+ years and have, as have many others, communicated and co-operated with Lambeth council (well as much as I thought i should!) to hear of this eviction through word of mouth, with no written notice is a real shock. We have been trying to contact the council to get answers but they don't return my phone calls or reply to my emails.

We have already been to court and possession orders were granted but the council was sitting on them, allowing us to stay due to being "the devils they know". The council said they would give us a months notice, it's now less than 3 weeks!!!

I not sure what links u have with the Council. But u could try local Cllrs to find out what is going on. This is Coldharbour Ward. If the Council told u they would give u 3 months notice this is possibly an issue for Cllrs.

Also if the police go ahead with this it will be high profile. So the South London Press may be interested. There is sympathy from sections of the local community for u lot in Clifton.

Unless the Council have plans for this building then eviction is unnecessary.

The journalist who I rate highly is Nadia. She has covered Brixton issues before.

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/contact.cfm

Lambeth Reporter - Nadia Gilani
Tel: 020 8710 6445 - nadia.gilani@slp.co.uk

I emailed my friendly local Cllr about this and expressed my concerns about this. The local Cllr had not been informed about this and is taking it up with the Police/Council to find out what is happening. Several locals had contacted the local Cllr about this.

One of the residents told me earlier that water bombs and a film crew would be laid on for the bailiffs. Licensed premises will be closed. I suppose the police don't want any drunk protesters.

One of the residents told me earlier that water bombs and a film crew would be laid on for the bailiffs. Licensed premises will be closed. I suppose the police don't want any drunk protesters.

They can't close all the pubs in London though....

Resist*the evictions at
Clifton Mansions July 12

Clifton*Mansions On Coldharbour Lane is a community of squatters in the heart
of Brixton. *Squatted since the 1990's the 22 flats are home to a*large and diverse group of people. *The residents have repaired and
maintained the properties after Lambeth Council left them empty and
neglected. *Clustered around a central courtyard Clifton Mansions is
a safe and vibrant community where violence and abuse are not*tolerated.

On*Tuesday 12 July 2011 the police plan to block off Coldharbour Lane
and enforce the eviction of all the people living in Clifton*Mansions. *Making the astonishing claim that evicting Clifton*Mansions will somehow solve the problem of drug crime in Brixton, the*police failed to consult with local councillors before pushing ahead
with this plan. *Clifton Mansions residents have received only two*weeks notice that they are to be evicted from their homes.

Following*the evictions, Lambeth Council will pay Camelot, a private company,
to provide “live-in guardians” to occupy Clifton Mansions. *The*squatters have been providing a free guardian service for years. *Why
make people homeless and then pay a multinational company to occupy*their homes?

Eventually*Lambeth wants to sell Clifton Mansions to property developers,*further reducing Lambeth's social housing stock in central*Brixton. *Clifton Mansions will be turned into luxury flats priced*well beyond the means of the local community.

Please*contact the council and the police to let them know what you think.

Show*your support on eviction day:
12*July – 8am – Clifton Mansions – 429 Coldharbour Lane

They're*closing the street so lets have a party!

A party's not such a bad idea. :) Are you expecting everyone to have been turfed out by ten past eight, or will proceedings be a bit more drawn out?

If you want drinks from House of Bottles you'll have to stock up the night before. Or on eviction day you can walk all of 100 yards to the offies on Brixton Rd/Acre Lane.

The building goes back quite far, and it's 4 storeys tall. 22 Flats, no bother.

On*Tuesday 12 July 2011 the police plan to block off Coldharbour Lane
and enforce the eviction of all the people living in Clifton*Mansions. *Making the astonishing claim that evicting Clifton*Mansions will somehow solve the problem of drug crime in Brixton, the*police failed to consult with local councillors before pushing ahead
with this plan. *Clifton Mansions residents have received only two*weeks notice that they are to be evicted from their homes.

My local Cllr has told me that they were not informed about this.

I live not far from Clifton Mansions. Does not seem to cause trouble to me. If the Police want to do something about drug dealing they could look at KFC. Perhaps KFC should be evicted?:D

I've seen deliveries being made to a dealer in front of the building. But I don't see how the eviction will change anything. The demand will be just as high, and it's very easy to satisfy it.

And if there are issues with certain flats then the Police can deal with that. These problems happen in , for example, on estates. The Police dont have to tar everyone with the same brush.

It does show the importance of keeping a firm control over the building one is occupying. There are people on the look out for places to use for various activities. Especially in central Brixton.

Back
Top Bottom