Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Music Temple records, Brixton Village - a few photos

editor

hiraethified
This is a great local vinyl store - the owner's really friendly and very enthusiastic about reggae. I'm trying to get him to play Offline!

music-temple-records-brixton-01.jpg

More pics: http://www.urban75.org/blog/vinyl-reggae-galore-at-music-temple-records-brixton-village/

Never seen anything other than reggae, dub and ska, but Simon's a lovely bloke. I seem to spend a fortune there every Thursday.

He sits there spinning old 45s and chatting about the music all day. It's like visiting the best kind of music shop from 20 years ago.

There's a kind of 'everything else' section which does allsorts , soul, disco, hip hop , african but it varies in quality. Picked up some rare hardcore in there once. Yes he's a top bloke, if you just hang out there for half an hour your sure to hear a good tune that you've got to have.

Best reggae shop in London bar none. Spent an enjoyable evening with Si at a sound system the other weekend, a mine of information and the best person to give your wants list to.

It's now closed for good. I think that marks the end of the long association of record shops in Brixton Village, no?

It's not al bad news as there's this one in Reliance Arcade and there's one about to open in Pop.

Shame, the owner was back recently and it had a bit of a new lease of life. Some of the background probably not appropriate for here though.

Shame, the owner was back recently and it had a bit of a new lease of life. Some of the background probably not appropriate for here though.
I'm going to do a small feature about the demise of the shop - if you can, please PM me anything you have and tell me which bits can be made public!

I was in the market on the weekend grabbing a coffee and went to pop into do some vinyl shopping only to be greeted with an empty unit. Slightly devastating as I really enjoyed flipping through and finding the odd gem.

I was in the market on the weekend grabbing a coffee and went to pop into do some vinyl shopping only to be greeted with an empty unit. Slightly devastating as I really enjoyed flipping through and finding the odd gem.
I have some good news to tell tomorrow :)

Ah, I remember Matt and his stall. Great to hear he's kept the business going all these years, and is now back in Brixton.

Back
Top Bottom