Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Apple's iPhone <eta: and other smartphones?> tracks users every movement

Kid_Eternity

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
The Guardian reports on the shocking breach of privacy that only Apple does with its iPhone:

Security researchers have discovered that Apple's iPhone keeps track of where you go – and saves every detail of it to a secret file on the device which is then copied to the owner's computer when the two are synchronised.

The file contains the latitude and longitude of the phone's recorded coordinates along with a timestamp, meaning that anyone who stole the phone or the computer could discover details about the owner's movements using a simple program. For some phones, there could be almost a year's worth of data stored, as the recording of data seems to have started with Apple's iOS 4 update to the phone's operating system, released in June 2010.

"Apple has made it possible for almost anybody – a jealous spouse, a private detective – with access to your phone or computer to get detailed information about where you've been," said Pete Warden, one of the researchers.

Only the iPhone records the user's location in this way, say Warden and Alasdair Allan, the data scientists who discovered the file and are presenting their findings at the Where 2.0 conference in San Francisco on Wednesday. "Alasdair has looked for similar tracking code in [Google's] Android phones and couldn't find any," said Warden. "We haven't come across any instances of other phone manufacturers doing this."

:eek:

Out-fucking-rageous.

But I do now want to dig this file out for Sparrows iphone and plot it on a map :D

*awaits enormous $$$$$ class action suit from some opportunist in the US.

Mind you, this really is very worrying stuff indeed. Why the fuck should a phone be storing precise records of all your movements?

Probably nothing but this story appeared on Engadget and then promptly disappeared (so the links in the RSS feed don't work).

Apple = Skynet :hmm:

Lol tis the season, everything has been called that this week (even though I don't agree with the date as the original is August koff koff)!

Fucking hell. If true, this *has* to breach privacy laws, surely?

Seems that way, it's interesting that Apple appear to be the ONLY smartphone maker doing this. Not good at all really, and I must admit this has seriously made me consider not getting another idevice with built in GPS again.

I'd be seriously pissed off if I had an iphone right now.

Now that this information is public and seemingly quite easy to get hold of I wonder how many people will be 'caught out' by their partners, employers etc off the back of it?

I'd say there are dodgy people in dodgy regimes rubbing their hands together with glee now.

I'd say there are dodgy people in dodgy regimes rubbing their hands together with glee now.

Mobile networks already record your location constantly regardless of what phone you use, and that information is available to governments. So not really. This is more of a personal data security concern vs other individuals who might want to see where you are and could jailbreak your phone or fiddle with your computer.

Mobile networks already record your location constantly regardless of what phone you use, and that information is available to governments. So not really. This is more of a personal data security concern vs other individuals who might want to see where you are and could jailbreak your phone or fiddle with your computer.

Actually that's a good point. I got a bit carried away with my indignation :oops:

Other points still stand though.

Yes. But it's not available to absolutely anyone who can get access to your laptop or iPhone. They need a court order to gain access to your files.

If anyone steals your iPhone or laptop and downloads the free visualisation app, they'll know where and when you work and can schedule a burglary accordingly. It's a horrendous breach of privacy. Or stalk you. Or find out your whereabouts.

What the fuck was Apple doing creating and storing a secret, unprotected log of timestamped location info?

Only I have access to my Mac, I can remote wipe my iPhone.

Not justifying their behaviour, just saying why I'm not too bothered by this.

I wonder how many people are right now downloading the app and uncovering their partner's/workmate's details.

*can't hear himself think over the sound of divorce lawyers rubbing their hands together

Bear in mind that the app as offered on the site only has a 7-day resolution - ie, every reading in a 7-day window at one time. Of course, it's only a matter of time until there's a version with 1-second resolution.

Bear in mind that the app as offered on the site only has a 7-day resolution - ie, every reading in a 7-day window at one time. Of course, it's only a matter of time until there's a version with 1-second resolution.
Well, indeed. Once the data is copied, ne'er do wells can examine your movements at their leisure and zoom into specifics.

And if someone breaks into your house and steals your Mac?

What? Like the CIA? A private detective? lol...

Don't get me wrong, this is bonkers. But I don't really care, there's enough surveillance out there... meh.

What the fuck was Apple doing creating and storing a secret, unprotected log of timestamped location info?

It could be a valuable source of marketing info, knowing a highly sought after phone user (the idea being that iPhone owners tend to be a bit better off) movements cross referenced with buying habits? I could imagine electronic tube adverts which change when they know a high volume of iPhone users are trundling through at certain times of day...it's a bit minority report but what else would you want marketing data for if it wasn't targeted advertising?

One could write a trojan horse to retrieve this info en-masse. It would then be possible to see when people usually leave their house and where they live.

Burglary. There's an app for that ...

People live in houses and aren't in them during the day - this won't tell burglars any more than they know already tbf

What? Like the CIA? A private detective? lol...

Don't get me wrong, this is bonkers. But I don't really care, there's enough surveillance out there... meh.
If they did a survey of smartphone users and asked: "would you be happy if your handset secretly stored an unprotected, easily accessible file containing timestamped location info for all your movements?" what percentage of users do you think would answer, " Sure, why not, it's all meh to me?"

I could be wrong, but I suspect you're in a real minority here. :D

If they did a survey of smartphone users and asked: "would you be happy if your handset secretly stored an unprotected, easily accessible file containing timestamped location info for all your movements?" what percentage of users do you think would answer, " Sure, why not, it's all meh to me?"

I could be wrong, but I suspect you're in a real minority here. :D

I didn't say it was alright, I just said I personaly am not that bothered. Of course I'm likely to be in a bloody minority :facepalm:

Back
Top Bottom