Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brighton's new i360 tower - a ' giant dildo with a cock-ring'

editor

hiraethified
brighton-west-pier-34.jpg

Following on from this feature about the West Pier, this thing is being touted as its successor.

At just four metres wide, the i360 has a slender, elegant design. Sited on the axis of the Grade II* Regency Square, it will make a positive contribution to the Regency Square Conservation Area, adding visual interest and enhancing its character and appearance.
At the foot of the tower will be a shop and hospitality suite and a cafe/restaurant catering for up to 400 people.

What do we think, urban?

More: http://www.urban75.org/blog/the-brighton-i360-tower-successor-to-the-west-pier/
http://www.brightoni360.co.uk/

I can't see it ever being built. Like the Frank Gheary development in Hove, the Marina redevelopment and other big developments that were planned for Brighton during the boom, it'll come to nothing. The town is far too conservative when it comes to development.

seen the site and artists impressions on the hoardings
does look impressive scale etc but can't help but think it doesn't really fit in, especially on the thing that they're building it on
just a touristy thing and no way a good enough replacement for the West Pier imo

I think its been dropped now. They've gone for a big ferris wheel up the Kemp Town end instead.
Their site is still insisting that it has funding and will be opening in 2013. The West Pier trust are (rather bizarrely) giving it their full backing too.

That was the stand out quote from your West Pier photography thread.. there aren't enough landmarks to merit it, let alone with a 100? person capacity per go?

Wrong location, wrong structure.. wrong, wrong, wrong. The architect in the video is a fool.

I may be wrong. They originally wanted to build a load of shops on the seafront, blocking the views from Brunswick Square.

That didnt get very far then a Ferris wheel was planned but that too was way too big. The sailing club and other small shops there objected.

Now... who knows. I hope it doesnt get built. The area is nice and quiet. Skateboarders and rollerskaters use the tarmaced over swimming pool to practice/dance with their portable soundsystems.

Its a good open space for staging all sorts of events.

Im sure it will make loads of money for the developers but its fuck all use for the people who live here.

I wish they'd collared those fucking twats responsible for torching the West Pier straight after it got its £14m renovation grant.

I simply can't think who on earth may have been motivated to do such a thing though.

Meanwhile, here's a pretty picture of the other pier.

palace_pier_brighton

I think its been dropped now. They've gone for a big ferris wheel up the Kemp Town end instead.

I wish they'd do something about the railings instead - there are big chunks of rusty metal falling off because it's so long since they were painted, and one of the staircases leading to Maderia Drive has been sealed off because it's crumbling away :(

Possibly not the best comparison ever; that's one of the least dildo-looking buildings I've ever seen. And do cock rings usually go round the cock, like someone's been playing hoopla?

I wish they'd collared those fucking twats responsible for torching the West Pier straight after it got its £14m renovation grant.

I simply can't think who on earth may have been motivated to do such a thing though.

There was some speculation that the owners of the other pier were behind it. Others thought developer wanted the old structure out of the way so they could build something new but it's listed status prevented them.
There were actually 2 arson attacks on the West Pier & one on the Palace pier all within a short period of time. It was all rather suspicious.

Another theory was that a certain notorious Brighton landlord was part of it as he was form for setting fire to squats when he wants some new building put in it's place.

4 February 2003 - fire on Palace pier

28 March 2003 - firedestroys end of West Pier

12 May 2003 - fire destroys remaining part of West pier

http://www.theargus.co.uk/archive/2...ble__Don_t_blame_us_for_West_pier_s_downfall/
The Noble Organisation, which bought the Palace Pier 20 years ago, has pursued a series of legal challenges to the proposed West Pier restoration, which now seems doomed.

Private developer St Modwen has formally withdrawn its support for the West Pier project after the Heritage Lottery Fund pulled the plug on its promised £14 million funding in January, having rejected a request for a further £5 million.

English Heritage decided last month that even a "back-to-basics" version of the original 1866 structure was unworkable.

Bitter criticism has been targeted at Gateshead-based Noble following the loss of the Brighton landmark.

Last October 10,000 people signed a petition calling for Noble to stop blocking the West Pier Trust's efforts.

Noble's objections helped delay the start of any work on the West Pier before storms and arson attacks in 2002 and 2003 effectively doomed the scheme.

Noble called for planning permission to be reviewed, lottery cash to be withdrawn and a harbour revision order essential for the pier's renovation to be rejected.

On the day of the crucial fund decision, The Argus revealed Noble's latest attack - a formal request to strip the West Pier of its Grade I listed status.

I think its been a complete & utter waste of time & money & hope it never gets built. It would also look bloody stupid.

Did all this start with the 'iconic' Millenium Wheel - at least in my mind, until then most of the UK had resisted these bollocky branding projects, now we have phalluses going up all over the show*?

* better phrasing optional

'Vertical pier' my arse. Piers are supposed to go out to sea.

I can see the thinking, about giving a different perspective on the sea/coast. The great attraction of Beachy Head is the fantastic panoramic view.

West Pier Trust have pretty much given up.

I think what Brighton needs is a sky-scraping "love hotel" that actually is shaped like a phallus. Admittedly anywhere would be more romantic than that god awful 60s hotel currently a few yards west of Regency Square.

To recap:
Structure that goes out to sea with a walking/viewing platform = pier
Inland tall thin structure that offers a viewing platform via an elevator = tower

Decent view of the French coast on clear days, though.

Surely the 'Gherkin' is the dildo, this is just Peter Crouch with a neck brace.

This is what it looked like when they were lifting one of the cans onto the base of the jacking tower platform:
20150718_143213aa.jpg

Back
Top Bottom