Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Abandoned Victorian mansions, Windsor Walk, Denmark Hill SE5 - any info?

editor

hiraethified
windsor-walk-denmark-hill-03.jpg

There's a row of beautiful Victorian mansions slowly rotting away right next to Denmark Hill Station.

They were squatted for a while, but have been empty for years on end. Anyone know anything more about them?

windsor-walk-denmark-hill-08.jpg

http://www.urban75.org/blog/abandoned-victorian-mansions-windsor-walk-denmark-hill-se5/

I can't see what numbers they are, but are they these properties owned by SLAM?

Renovation of 6-11 Windsor Walk by South London and Maudsley Charitable Funds
As you may be aware, South London and Maudsley Charitable Funds (SLaM Charitable Funds) a registered charity owns six properties on Windsor Walk, near Denmark Hill station. These six properties, located close to the junction with Grove Lane, have fallen into disrepair and are currently not in use.

SLaM Charitable Funds is in the process of developing proposals to renovate 6 – 11 Windsor Walk to bring these derelict properties back into use and enhance the local conservation area.

The proposals are for the six properties to be restored to a high standard, retaining their facades and character. Four of the properties will be converted into much-needed, high-quality accommodation for parents whose children are receiving long-term treatment at King’s College Hospital. The remaining two properties will be renovated to a high standard and sold or leased on the private market.

http://www.se5forum.org/fileadmin/content/files/windsor_park/windsor_walk_renovations.pdf

That planning app is for the larger terraced block further down the road. The demolition was on the outside at the rear, to remove the kitchen/bathroom stubby bits on the back and replace them with taller, squarer extensions. That work is currently ongoing.

So no, it's not 6-11 Windsor Walk. I'd guess the door numbers are higher

ah, what number are these properties then?

Maybe 1-4?

Just looked at google maps and I can see there's two lots of hoarded up building with a fairly new-build building dividing them

hm, doesn't look like it can be 1-4

Addiction Sciences Building
4 Windsor Walk, London SE5 8BB

Neurology
1 Windsor Walk, London SE5 8BB
24 St Francis Road
London SE22

Found this, and as it mentions the "end-house", I'm assuming that's not the nos. 6-11 that I mentioned:

i worked in windsor walk 10 years ago - i remember watching the last houses shut up, and seeing the old couple at the end who were the last survivors. the old lady used to scrub thew doorstep surrounded by derelection. it was a poignant sight. at the time i thought they were waiting for that couple to leave before they redveloped the whole site.

i really doubt it's been deliberate though, its their inability to act that most often causes them problems.

That was posted in 2007

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,10356,44332

Found this (from 2008) on Camberwell Online

Update: OK, to stop this being the worst post ever, here’s some news from CQ; Denmark Hill station is set for major changes in the next couple of years. The derelict houses nearest the station are to be opened as an assisted fertilisation centre by Kings (so I guess they weren’t bought in auction), the old stationmaster’s house has been granted funds for refurbishment, and the station itself is to finally receive stair-free access and many improvements to access in and around — including, possibly, a new entrance on Champion Grove.

There are two separate derelict house sections in question. I was advised by a friend in contact with the trust that one was sold and the other was looking for an alternative use.

Definitely Slam, some of the wireless fm posse and others moved in there for a while after the eviction of St agnes place but were turfed out pretty rapidly so the buildings could get back to rot, they were very run down already back then.
Obviously bureaucxracies don't have the vision to leave people in as caretakers, and there probably is some new build project in the pipeline.

Definitely Slam, some of the wireless fm posse and others moved in there for a while after the eviction of St agnes place but were turfed out pretty rapidly so the buildings could get back to rot, they were very run down already back then.
Obviously bureaucxracies don't have the vision to leave people in as caretakers, and there probably is some new build project in the pipeline.

So SLAM owned both sets of derelict houses?

I can't figure out what number properties these are.

In 2006 No. 4 was part of SLAM

National Addiction Centre PO Box 48
4 Windsor Walk
London
SE5 8AF

but that doesn't tie in with how long they've been empty

I'd like to see what's planned for Denmark Hill station!

oh yes, I saw a big notice about that the other day when I was in King's but didn't have time to look, although I think I remember seeing a picture of the walkway/bridge

Check it out!

Denmark-Hill_Rail-News-copy.jpg

Press release: http://www.networkrailmediacentre.c...CESSIBLE-FOR-ALL-163d/SearchCategoryID-8.aspx
Click for biiiig pic http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/imagelibrary/downloadMedia.ashx?MediaDetailsID=4107

That will make it loads easier getting in and out. The current bridge and doorways are pathetically narrow. Looks like a new ticket office on Champion Park (where they're currently widening the pavement)

Ridiculous that the nearest station to a huge hospital never had step-free access. Looking forward to the new station. I remember I used to go there regularly when it was the Phoenix and Firkin. Come to think of it, and I was having this discussion the other night with someone, the Phoenix and Firkin pubs was pretty yuppy in its day, although I never realised it at the time. :D

Well that was built in 1865, so think maps of the area then might help to try to figure out more about those properties maybe

Could they be Nos. 16-20. Seems a bit of an odd number unless there used to be other properties there before the railway line was built

hm, probably not

"South London and Maudsley NHS Trust Charitable Funds has decided to dispose of two blocks of properties in Windsor Walk. Numbers 16-20 will be offered for sale on the open market in late September. The Trustees are currently in active negotiations with the Institute of Psychiatry regarding the sale of numbers 6-11, and hope to have resolved in the near future. Failing that these properties will be disposed of on the open market. An additional property at 27 De Crespigny Park will also be offered for sale later in the year.

As part of the disposal of 16-20, Windsor Walk, the Trustees and their advisors will seek to ensure that any purchaser will undertake works promptly and in a way that is in keeping with the area. By managing the nature of the development post-sale, the Trustees aim to ensure that these sites will in future be returned to good use and in a timely manner.

A £1 million refurbishment of the
space occupied by the Addictions
team at 4 Windsor Walk started in
January and is due to be complete
in April.

The ground, first and second
floors are being re-designed to
house twice as many people to
reflect the increasing number of
staff and doctoral students. The
scheme includes new seminar
rooms, new meeting space and
a new reception. Addictions staff
and students have temporarily
moved out to different locations,
including the main building and
1 Windsor Walk

That was posted in 2008

Right. Douglas Bennett House is 12-15 Windsor Walk. 5 Windsor Walk is also part of the same institute by the looks of it.

http://ezitis.myzen.co.uk/maudsley.html

Which means 6-11 is the ones that Editor is NOT talking about, which means I reckon the ones he is talking about are Nos. 16-20

Phew!

You can see No. 5 on Google maps and also on that link above

There should be a planning application to go with that, including drawings...

Finally, some history!

An assessment of the heritage assets of the existing buildings at 16-20 Windsor Walk
has been carried out by Donald Insall Associates Ltd, Conservation Architects in
accordance with PPS5 and the associated Practice Guidance. Their findings are that
the houses were built in two stages between the c1860’s and c1880’s as speculative
suburban development to designs by local builder. The houses were originally
occupied as private residences but since the second part of the twentieth century they
have been used for medical purposes.
Most recently they have been used as
interlinked buildings as a methadone maintenance clinic and medical research facility.
The assessment concludes that the street facades of the buildings, although in need of
repair, make a positive contribution to the conservation area. The front elevations
have a good quality Victorian features and embellishments and though there are
neglected and altered in places, they contribute to the streetscene and the
conservation area. The rear elevations are much less intact and have been altered
significantly. They can be seen from the parking area within Maudsley Hospital to the
north but do not make a positive contribution to the conservation area.

More:

Following detailed appraisal of the area and pre application discussions, the submitted
proposals now retain the existing frontages to 16-20 Windsor Walk and the flank
elevations at either end.
The unsympathetic and much altered rear parts of the
buildings are to be demolished and replaced in order to provide the necessary form
and quality of accommodation to meet modern medical use requirements.

Ok, the proposed scheme - which has not received planning permission yet - retains the existing facades onto Windsor walk, while the rest of the site is filled with a modern building for the Fetal Medicine department. It's no higher than the existing houses, so won't spoil the roofline, but it quite a dramatic shape when viewed from the hospital side

Here's the ground floor plan. You can see the retained wall and windows along the bottom.
windsorwalk3.jpg

The large grey rectangle on the right of this side elevation is the side wall of the victorian buildings.
windsorwalk2.jpg

This is a slightly older version of the scheme, but it's the only 3d image I could find that showed the relationship to the existing facades on Windsor Walk
windsorwalk1.jpg

I think I've given up on these properties. Can't find anything about their history other than what I've already put up.

No info as to who lived there when they were first built, which is surprising considering the size of the properties, you'd imagine it was someone quite wealthy

Quelle surprise! Donald Insall Associates coming up with a report for an institutional landowner that proposes retention of a "heritage" facade and redevelopment of everything behind it. :(

Number 16 was the only squatted one, its the one at the right end of that terrace, you can just see the 'door' in the wooden hoardings that the squatters had cut and installed hinges and a lock onto it.

Its now been emptied of whoever was there, all the curtains and blankets on the windows are all gone, the front of the hoarding at that end has been painted a light blue and there is a mailbox on the front of it.
There is a new 'door' in the hoardings, and a security company is occupying the building from the looks of it, I saw one of them in the front room downstairs one evening. You can see in through a small hole in the hoarding. I'll take a photo of the current state of it next time I'm passing by, maybe tomorrow afternoon. None of the other buildings were occupied. If you go into the grounds of the NHS you can walk around the back and see the rear of the houses, although that might have changed by now. I'll sniff around tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom