Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Blimey! Brixton and the unexpected Coutts Bank connection

editor

hiraethified
335-brixton-road-london-sw9-03.jpg

I was researching this beastly building on Brixton Road and was surprised to find that it was actually built by super-posh, bank-of-the-Queen, Coutts 'no oiks' Bank.

335-brixton-road-london-sw9-07.jpg

Anyone know more?

Feature here: http://www.urban75.org/blog/brixton-and-the-unexpected-coutts-bank-connection/

I've been in there. Disability/OAP and carers advice service is based there.

Coutts may have been rich, but he had no taste. It's downright ugly

I like it well enough in the b&w shot, apart from the a/c units (?) jutting out of the windows.

This is idle speculation, but it was probably a back office place, like the old Citibank building in Lewisham.

In the 1960’s the current building was built as a warehouse for Chadesley Investment Ltd (now part of Greycoat plc.) In 1971 the warehouse was converted to be used as a computer centre for Coutts Bank. Coutts Bank vacated the building in 1979 and the building remained empty until 1984 when the property was given to Lambeth Accord by NatWest (the owner of Coutts Bank).

Lambeth Council then funded the building conversion into a centre of accessible excellence and initially four disability charities moved into the building

Different info :hmm:

I think it's pretty iconic. Needs painting for sure, orange perhaps, the design asymmetry and boldness compared to it's generic Victorian surroundings really works.

I quite like the shape of the thing on its own, but its location is wildly inappropriate and it's also in a terrible, unloved condition.

i'm quite surprised its not been redeveloped to residential accommodation tbh, it almost looks like flats from the pics

I've never really looked too hard at it when coming down Brixton Rd, but the more I look at the B&W pic when it was Coutts' IT building the more I like it - lots of glass, cool shapes and a lovely rendered finish. It was probably considered a quite exciting piece of architecture when it was built (altho I would also imagine that in common with much British Brutalism the interior was either roasting or freezing and that it hadn't had much thought expended on it's functionality)

In the 1960’s the current building was built as a warehouse for Chadesley Investment Ltd (now part of Greycoat plc.) In 1971 the warehouse was converted to be used as a computer centre for Coutts Bank.

The was a time, maybe there still is, when you could get planning permission for warehouses that you wouldn't get for offices. So quite a few buildings were built supposedly as warehouses but which remained empty until the owners could argue that, given a failure to let it as a warehouse, they should become offices.

This looks like one of those. Certainly doesn't look like a warehouse.

Another example is the block at the top of Brixton Hill behind the Telegraph. Built as a warehouse but never let; converted to offices; and now converted to flats.

The was a time, maybe there still is, when you could get planning permission for warehouses that you wouldn't get for offices. So quite a few buildings were built supposedly as warehouses but which remained empty until the owners could argue that, given a failure to let it as a warehouse, they should become offices.

This looks like one of those. Certainly doesn't look like a warehouse.

Another example is the block at the top of Brixton Hill behind the Telegraph. Built as a warehouse but never let; converted to offices; and now converted to flats.

*scribbles note for useful conversation piece*

I quite like the shape of the thing on its own, but its location is wildly inappropriate and it's also in a terrible, unloved condition.

Totally agree. As modern things go, it's an interesting build but set amongst a bunch of victorian buildings shows the lack of sensitivity by the planners.

Totally agree. As modern things go, it's an interesting build but set amongst a bunch of victorian buildings shows the lack of sensitivity by the planners.

I think there was a thread (culled long ago :confused:) in which I pointed out that the break between the glazed and solid floors of 336 Brixton Road lines up with the cornices of the buildings on either side, so it probably looked more "contextual" on the blueprints.

ETA: I think there was a feature in one of the architecture trade rags (AJ IIRC) in the mid-1980s about the original conversion for use by disable groups.

A few of the cunts I was at school with had Coutt's accounts. Mind you, it doesn't mean what it once did. Frank Lampard and Kerry Katona have accounts there.

Coutt's never bounce cheques though (well, within reason), which is quite cool .

I like this building.

It somehow fits in even though its very different from the other buildings.

Its certainly more interesting than Olive Morris Council offices on Brixton Hill.

I work in it and it might be ugly but it is most certainly not unloved. The building manager and staff are constantly maintaining it and ensuring that it continues to serve a purpose as a vital resource for older and disabled people in Lambeth. You also get fantastic views out onto Brixton Rd which on a quiet Friday can be very entertaining . . . It's worth going into Reception and having a look at the ambitious plans for the building which( if the fundraising goes to plan) would make it into a state of the art eco building with accessibility for disabled and older people at its heart - something Lambeth can be proud of. Def an ugly duckling but watch this space . . . :)

Oh yes and the views from the roof are fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom