Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

March for the Alternative demo, Sat 26th March 2011 – info, legal help, chat...

editor

hiraethified
march-for-alternative-1.jpg

I've posted up what I think is a pretty useful guide to the day's protest here: http://www.urban75.org/blog/march-f...ch-2011-info-legal-help-chat-and-after-party/

I hope you'll find it useful - and if you think I've missed anything, post it up here and I'll add it to the article.

Nice one for doing that, thank you, I;'m sure it'll come in very useful :cool: :)
(would you mind if I posted it on other forums where I've posted the protest info?)

a mate has suggested that a link to http://sukey.org/ would be very useful in there...

to quote the Sukey website
"What is Sukey?

("Fleeing riot police on foot? There's an app for that ..." (thanks @mlascarides!))

Sukey is our name for a set of applications designed to keep you protected and informed during protests. When you see something interesting, you tell us. When we're confident that something has actually happened, we tell you.

If you have a smartphone with a good web browser, you can look at a really cool compass-thing we call "Roar". If you don't, you can use our SMS update service we call "Growl". Have a look at our guide to getting involved for more information on how to do this stuff."

I was contacted by sukey to do some design work which was odd for a start and found them at least a bit crap and worse a police trap so sacked it off. They did say those minutes are on the website however.

Have people got something like this on their phones? I know you can get it for Android; I'm guessing for iphone too. Streams live video to the interweb with one (or sometimes two) button presses, and automatically saves it there.

Have people got something like this on their phones? I know you can get it for Android; I'm guessing for iphone too. Streams live video to the interweb with one (or sometimes two) button presses, and automatically saves it there.
Actually, I'm remember writing a piece on that - I should add that to this guide too (or maybe rewrite it).

I've also just added several alternative actions that are going - it's going to be a very busy day!

Here it is: Photographers Rights - photographing protests
There's also legal stuff about cops deleting images and how to gt them back if they (illegally) force you to do so.

i've never had this problem, despite taking well over a couple of thousand pictures of the police (and the cctv systems in the city of london and a range of railway stations). the nearest i've come is the old 'it's not very nice you taking my picture, you should have asked permission first'. but when confronted with a fairly polite 'foxtrot oscar' they've backed down.

i've never had this problem, despite taking well over a couple of thousand pictures of the police (and the cctv systems in the city of london and a range of railway stations). the nearest i've come is the old 'it's not very nice you taking my picture, you should have asked permission first'. but when confronted with a fairly polite 'foxtrot oscar' they've backed down.
It does happen, and happens rather more often than you might think.

It might be tucked away in there but could be worth adding something about the different "officials" that will be around:

GBC legal observers (the only ones to be trusted) - will be wearing orange hi-vis with "Legal Observer" on them (will also likely have a t-shirt saying something like "no search powers compel you to give your personal details").

TUC stewards - Yellow Hi-Vis

Liberty Observers (In cahoots with the police, not to be trusted) - think they'll have green hi-vis on, but not sure, need to check that..

[actually might be best just to add onto the legal bit to say that GBC legal ovservers will be wearing the orange hi-vis and are on our side]

They are going to be in the police offices observing what is going on, they've been asked in by the police, I don't trust them, it's a personal statement of belief not something I can objectively prove. I think they are there to legitimise the actions of the police rather than to help activists

They are going to be in the police offices observing what is going on, they've been asked in by the police, I don't trust them, it's a personal statement of belief not something I can objectively prove. I think they are there to legitimise the actions of the police rather than to help activists
Liberty were very helpful to me when I was running the Football/CJA campaign and they've done some great work over the years. I'd hardly call them police informers in any regard.

Back
Top Bottom