Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

St Pancras Hotel re-opens

According that link it doesn't reopen until next month.

Tis a beautiful building.

And it almost got demolished, if it wasn't for a campaign led by John Betjeman (a statue of whom is located in the main station).

The most photographed bit of the restored decor - those gold fleurs-de-lys on a Pompeian red background in the spectacular staircase - isn't actually Victorian. It is apparently a (remarkably sympathetic) later paint job. [Depending on your source it is late Edwardian or 1920s]

No smoking rooms these days. Ditto on the bar, or bars.

Heh, you should see the way the regs are being bent to allow this. One of the few exemptions to the law are Cigar Shops. So now all the fancy hotels are having cigar shops installed, some really quite elaborate.

It was built with the best materials - Butterly Iron , Gripper bricks and Minton tiles (such was the optimism of the Midland Railway) - whereas Kings Cross was much lower specification.

Course the undercroft was built in measurable units of a Burton beer barrel.

Many victorian guests preferred the safety of the stairs to the hotel's hydraulic lifts. Although cutting edge for its age, the lift designers had not thought of doors, and people were killed falling into the open lift shaft.
:eek:

It is very impressive now the surrounds are down and it's in it's full glory, I walk past it twice a day. They have a bouncer at the end of the driveway even at 7am but I've not seen many people about.

It is very impressive now the surrounds are down and it's in it's full glory, I walk past it twice a day. They have a bouncer at the end of the driveway even at 7am but I've not seen many people about.

Do you mean a doormen/bellboy like they do most big hotels? Or is it a hench looking guy with a shaved head in shades? :hmm: :confused: :D

Probably the former but looks like the latter - all in black with shades on this morning, I'll check for the shaved head on my way home tonight.

It looked amazing on the news this morning :cool:

How much is a room though?! :eek: :D

For a weeknight in August:

Barlow Room: £275
Barlow King: £300
Barlow Club: £375

Those are all in the new-build wing down the side of the train shed. To stay in the restored building you need to pay:

Chambers, Guest Room: £450
Chambers, Junior Suite: £650
Chambers Grand, Junior Suite: £950
Chambers Suite: £2,000
Chambers Bi-Level Suite: £2,500
Queen Victoria Suite: £3,000
Royal Suite: £10,000

Does that mean you can't enter the actual station from the original entrance (facing Euston Road) any more?

I went into the hotel some years ago (5? 6? more?) when there was an exhibition/sale by some artists, one of whom I knew. The hotel had obviously been disused for a long time and was very dilapidated. You could see, though, that it had been very grand in its day. I'm glad it's been done up and has reopened.

The only problem is...

For a weeknight in August:

Barlow Room: £275
Barlow King: £300
Barlow Club: £375

Those are all in the new-build wing down the side of the train shed. To stay in the restored building you need to pay:

Chambers, Guest Room: £450
Chambers, Junior Suite: £650
Chambers Grand, Junior Suite: £950
Chambers Suite: £2,000
Chambers Bi-Level Suite: £2,500
Queen Victoria Suite: £3,000
Royal Suite: £10,000

Ooof! Kinell! It doesn't seem likely I'll be staying there unless I win the lottery or something.

Still... when I go to London I arrive at St Pancras and I think I might just pop in and see if there's a bar where someone will sell a pint to a slightly scruffy and impecunious visitor.

New reception rooms are really beautiful. I had a talk with the security staff on the door today. They seemed alright. Looking forward to a big night out here sometime in the next year.

Back
Top Bottom