Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tebbit relives "on your bike" moment.

taffboy gwyrdd

Embrace the confusion!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-12526733

Isn't this an admission that capitalism has failed a huge swathe of communities?

Why has he nothing to say about supporting local economies instead of seeking to shatter communities even further than the fundementalist capitalists have so far managed to?

Well, because he is a tory twat as well we know, but I think we should read and project this statement as tacit acceptence that his creed has failed.

Isn't he dead yet?

Oh so near......

_301223_tebbit150.jpg

I got on a train and moved to look for work in a seaside resort long before Tebbit's statement in the 80's. Then they changed the rules and once the contract ran out with your employer then you had to return 'home', because you couldn't sign on in between jobs you had moved to find, nor were you entitled to housing benefit

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-12526733

Isn't this an admission that capitalism has failed a huge swathe of communities?

Why has he nothing to say about supporting local economies instead of seeking to shatter communities even further than the fundementalist capitalists have so far managed to?

Well, because he is a Tory twat as well we know, but I think we should read and project this statement as tacit acceptance that his creed has failed.

Tebbit never told anyone to get on their bike. He merely pointed out that when he was a boy his father was out of work, & went out on his bike to look for a job. in contrast to today's unemployed who sit around waiting for someone to offer them work. I used to be an employment agency interviewer. Part of my job was to cold canvass local companies for job vacancies. All this entailed was ringing companies in the local yellow pages. This is something anyone can do to find a job. also people often have skills that could earn them money. I once knew someone who worked for years in a DIY shop on a low income. He obviously wasn't happy in his job. I noted that he was very good at a range of DIY, so I asked why he didn't work for himself doing odd DIY jobs for people. He was afraid he wouldn't get enough work he said. My guess I replied is that your only problem would be finding the time to do all the work you would be offered. He advertised just once, & has been inundated ever since. Last I heard he was charging £21 per hour & doing very nicely. I might add that this is in a fairly rural area, not the south.
This was the basis of what Tebbits much misquoted speech was about. About making some effort to help yourself, instead of acting like eternal children who have to have the state do everything for them. Do you think the man in my example would have ever been so well off as he is now if he had just relied on the job centre.

Tebbit never told anyone to get on their bike. He merely pointed out that when he was a boy his father was out of work, & went out on his bike to look for a job. in contrast to today's unemployed who sit around waiting for someone to offer them work. I used to be an employment agency interviewer. Part of my job was to cold canvass local companies for job vacancies. All this entailed was ringing companies in the local yellow pages. This is something anyone can do to find a job. also people often have skills that could earn them money. I once knew someone who worked for years in a DIY shop on a low income. He obviously wasn't happy in his job. I noted that he was very good at a range of DIY, so I asked why he didn't work for himself doing odd DIY jobs for people. He was afraid he wouldn't get enough work he said. My guess I replied is that your only problem would be finding the time to do all the work you would be offered. He advertised just once, & has been inundated ever since. Last I heard he was charging £21 per hour & doing very nicely. I might add that this is in a fairly rural area, not the south.
This was the basis of what Tebbits much misquoted speech was about. About making some effort to help yourself, instead of acting like eternal children who have to have the state do everything for them. Do you think the man in my example would have ever been so well off as he is now if he had just relied on the job centre.

The era of expanded state provision after the Second World War was when both economic growth and social mobility was at its highest. Having freed increasing numbers from the constant worry of poverty, it enabled them to explore their potential. The gradual eroding of the welfare state has seen all that go into reverse.

from your BBC link . . .

"People do it in Poland, people do it in Hungary, people do it in Lithuania. Why are they more willing to do it than we are?"

would be interested in your answer TG (serious)

Do what? Move to the UK in search of work? Bit difficult when we're already here.

Or move to one of those countries? Bad idea when they're in a worse state than we are. And while many east Europeans have a good grasp of the world's most spoken language-English, most Britons have no knowledge whatsoever of minority langauages like Polish and Lithuanian. Hang your boots up Tebbit, you stupid twat.

Do what? Move to the UK in search of work? Bit difficult when we're already here.

Or move to one of those countries? Bad idea when they're in a worse state than we are. And while many east Europeans have a good grasp of the world's most spoken language-English, most Britons have no knowledge whatsoever of minority langauages like Polish and Lithuanian. Hang your boots up Tebbit, you stupid twat.
:D

I have been getting on my bike to find work for 28 years, but now I have a son in school locally who I want to see, now it is less easy just to up sticks and move for work.

The same is true of the Valleys of Wales. When the coal industry started thousands moved there for the work. Now the industry has gone (largely) but the people have families there, grandparents to look after and it is not so easy for them to move for work now.

Are you REALLY this stupid ?

wanker alert

Tebbit's 'Get on your bike' speech was inspired (if that be the word) by the example of his father who became unemployed in the Depression. His father did get on his bike and cycled around the neighbourhood asking if people wanted their front doors painting. Doing this he got a bit of cash together. The resonance of the phrase sounded because 'get on your bike' was also a polite way of saying 'F**k off, and it appealed to the tabloid hacks of the day. If the people of Merthyr Tydfil did the same, they would all be asking each other to paint their doors. Like all Tory 'solutions', it only works for the individual not the majority.

I knew a lad from Merthyr. He was living in Hocustown working in computers. He next moved to Australia and did well. He came back and visited, wearing some expensive clothes and looking very happy. Perhaps Tebbit was thinking of people moving abroad and taking the problem with them. The Aussies are I think not so open about foreigners now.

from your BBC link . . .

"People do it in Poland, people do it in Hungary, people do it in Lithuania. Why are they more willing to do it than we are?"

Can I have a go at that one, please?

It's because we have a strong sense of place and community, and people want to keep it. You can't talk about want to build a bigger society etc one minute and the next start telling people to keep moving around to suit the needs of capitalism.

from your BBC link . . .

Do what? Have low wage economies, that are easily exploitable and so have surplus labour?

I would think that the actual mechanics of 'moving for work' are quite difficult for the very people, ie long term unemployed, that the suggestion is aimed at. People with qualifications can of course 'move for(well paid)work' they will have money behind them to find local accomodation & the work will pay enough to run 2 homes until they can find permanent housing in the area for themselves & families. Companies will usually help key employees with removal expenses.

Suppose a long term unemployed person living in a council house with his family in Methyr found work in, for example Slough? This work would most likely be minimum wage with no security, ie the job could end at any time. Employers offering this sort of work would not be interested in helping somebody not local to get established in the area, why should they? they would be no doubt inundated with local applicants anyway. How is the man supposed to pay rent on local(decent)accomodation & still run his home, how will he be able to afford transport home at weekends, What would be the point of moving his family to Slough when the job could end at any time. Just political shit, ain't it?

Suppose a long term unemployed person living in a council house with his family in Methyr found work in, for example Slough? This work would most likely be minimum wage with no security, ie the job could end at any time. Employers offering this sort of work would not be interested in helping somebody not local to get established in the area, why should they? they would be no doubt inundated with local applicants anyway. How is the man supposed to pay rent on local(decent)accomodation & still run his home, how will he be able to afford transport home at weekends, What would be the point of moving his family to Slough when the job could end at any time. Just political shit, ain't it?

You make a good point.

Back
Top Bottom