Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ms Cupcake arrives on Coldharbour Lane, Brixton

editor

hiraethified
I don't want to prejudge this and I'm happy so see a vegan store opening up in Brixton, but what do you lot think of this sign on the soon-to-be-opened premises (right next to Market Row)?

Ms Cupcake is a SEXY 1950s housewife who makes DECADENT CUPCAKES and baked goods for those who LOVE a little indulgence in life.

http://www.mscupcake.co.uk

Attachments

• IMAG1564.jpg
    IMAG1564.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 14
mscupcake_greenwich.png

She looks like a loon :D So should fit right in with the neighbourhood tbf :cool:

I hope it goes well.
Something a bit different.

If I am cynical I find the making of cupcakes as much (or more) fun than the eating of cupcakes.

For me the worst part of the sign is 'vegan'. You can't get good butter-cream without using real butter. Other wise I have no problem with it.

I'm not really into cake and these look like they might be a bit sickly, too much topping, a bit lurid. She seems to be panicking slightly that there's no running water in the shop. That would certainly be a barrier to baking.

They look fucking horrible to be honest - big sickly globbets of bilious icing. Good luck to her I guess, but it does seem a limited offering.

Cupcakes is a cheesy Americanism to be fair, although it does arguably go better with the 1950s housewife schtick.

There was a stall for a while at the Farmer's Market that did all manner of old-fashioned cakes and I found it difficult to pass by! Mmmm, fruit-marzipan, orange-soaked yoghurt and semolina, apple-ginger, date or banana bread. I miss it but then again it's absence is helping my waistline a great deal!

I've googled and now changed my mind. The difference between cupcakes and fairycakes is argued by learned authorities to hinge on the supraspongal layer. A fairy cake is topped with a thin layer of glace icing while a cupcake is piled high with sickly buttercream.

There is probably a certain irony in someone using the title 'Ms' whilst celebrating being a '50s housewife', but it's too deep for me at 9am on a monday morning......

She seems like quite an eccentric person running a tiny business that's not really like anything else around here - good luck to her, I say. I like the idea that Brixton's entrepreneurial eccentrics can run from The Baron to Ms Cupcake.

Although as Mrs M says, if she can't sort out any running water, she's scuppered.

For me the worst part of the sign is 'vegan'.

Alright, now that that's established, tell us of the lesser evils of the sign.

You poor folks should realize that this is just the thin edge of the wedge. This cupcake business is bound to take off [cupcake stores are proliferating here in NA already]. In five years, there will be one on every corner of the high street of Brixton: just like Starbucks and KFC. :(

Woe betide the poor honest chippie, and the tobacconist's shoppe.

I've googled and now changed my mind. The difference between cupcakes and fairycakes is argued by learned authorities to hinge on the supraspongal layer. A fairy cake is topped with a thin layer of glace icing while a cupcake is piled high with sickly buttercream.

I've always made my fairy cakes with buttercream icing. I don't need to call them cupcakes in a faux American style. And any woman who celebrates 50s housewifery deserves a history lesson

AS - Sex & The City/Magnolia bakery in NYC started the current craze I think.

There's loads of 'cupcake women' (see also 'Cookie Girl' with her rather odd 'Eat Me' cookbook) doing the rounds these days.
It reminds me of burlesque for some reason, in that I can theoretically see the appeal, but really find it a bit odd and pointless at the same time.

Anyway, I doubt the vegan only thing is going to work in a shop environment for too long. The whole cupcake schtick is based on small amounts of luxurious indulgence, and whatever your dietary requirements, I don't think the word 'vegan' makes potential customers think of luxury or indulgence. She'd do better imo having a really great vegan selection rather than making the whole thing specifically and pointedly vegan. But her shop, so good luck to her...

Back
Top Bottom