Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lost dodgy London boozers: Cundy’s Tavern, Silvertown, east London

editor

hiraethified
railway-hotel-cundys-silvertown.jpg

This was a beast of a pub - anyone ever go?

http://www.urban75.org/blog/lost-dodgy-london-boozers-cundys-tavern-silvertown/

There used to be a loadof dodgy ones when I lived in Woolwich, the Bag O'Nails springs to mind.

One opposite where I lived at the time was okay until they refused to serve us one night as my brother had his black girlfriend with him.

Excellent - one dark and misty post Xmas , pre New Year , we went to Shoeburyness for a trip out (to escape domesticity etc) , and we chanced upon a very basic "locals" pub neat the station ,right at the end of the line. We didnt risk the back room with the snooker table and locals , but sat in the front - demolished the decent enough beer , ordered sandwiches , etc - and after an hour , the locals clocked we werent the old bill , HMC , or whatever and we were "accepted" - a good experience all round , but I reckon we could have got anything in that pub !

2378015548_fb8dd95bc3.jpg

Queens Rd, Peckham - everyone stopped talking when I walked in wearing a suit.No one would look directly at but was getting checked by mirrior

The crummiest pub in London had to be The Pilot on Deptford High Street. It was like an Eventide hospice set in a prison.

A typical sight would be one old chap staggering to his feet, a huge piss-stain spreading out across his trousers, making his trip to the toilet more of an afterthought. Social interaction was limited to a few motor programs lingering in the drink-shattered brains of The Pilot's clientele, such as grabbing at people. The smell was unbelievable.

Not far away Ed from the Cundy in Silvertown/Canning Town (and the Peacock Gym as your blog post links to)... The Peacock, Victoria Dock Road.

2u6fkzs.jpg

In the early noughties, it had a bit of a revitalisation as a venue for some old skool rave events. Being in the middle of an industrial estate and Silvertown Way made it perfect!

It closed sometime 2008 I believe, here's a picture from not long before then derelict.

rh4jlc.jpg

I hear it's possibly been demolished now.

2378015548_fb8dd95bc3.jpg

Queens Rd, Peckham - everyone stopped talking when I walked in wearing a suit.No one would look directly at but was getting checked by mirrior

I used to drink there occasionally when friends were squatting another pub nearby, the people in there were ok, well they didn't mind us even when we went there one new years day after no sleep and our friends were dancing on the tables.

The London and Brighton closed a few years ago and was squatted for a while and they put on some good parties there. They were evicted last year and it remained boarded up now.

When I first moved to Strat, the first two pubs I ever set foot in were the Spread Eagle and the British Lion.

I met a guy in the British Lion to do a record swap. Let's just say we didn't stay in there long after having a natter, a quick drink and doing the trade. It's now demolished.

5wzaex.jpg

I only ever went to the Spread Eagle once... to pick up an eighth. That was pretty unremarkable to be polite. Shortly after it turned into the Log Cabin (gay bar). Been derelict for years now although I believe it's listed (was a coaching house dating back to the 1700s).

Wasn't the log cabin the Yorkshire Grey or Greyhound or something? my gf lived there and the people living there got it listed. She also squatted the Spread Eagle in West Ham

Yeah, Yorkshire Grey. Was Spread Eagle when I got there.

And yes the other Spread Eagle was just up the road from me. Now a restaurant/bar called Tom & Jerry.

I think I went to a party with some Urbs at the Log Cabin after it was closed; must have been about 5 years ago.

That Dodgy Boozers website looks potentially great but appears to have been abandoned!

Back
Top Bottom