Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Globe, north London - identify this pub please!

editor

hiraethified
I passed this very closed boozer on the way to watch Cardiff's heroic 0-4 stuffing at Arsenal in 2006, but can't find any info on it.

I think it's pretty close to the old Rainbow Theatre. Anyone now what it and what happened to it?

Attachments

• globe.jpg
    globe.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 13
It is it. Not been near recently tho.

Googled globe tollington I think for the post code. But yeah.

Damn. Another one bites the dust. I'l see if I can write a piece about it on my blog and maybe get some of its old drinkers to add a few comments.

Nice building.

Editor - I have a book of Pubs in Haringey - it's sad to realise how many have utterly disappeared from existence in the last 10 year even though they have at least 400 years of pubs on those sites:

Yes, that pub was in Tollington Road, almost opposite the Sobel Centre.

It was squatted for a while before being demolished - I went to a couple of parties there, maybe five or six years ago (the smell from the toilet area was the worst I've ever experienced from any squat, I think things had permeated the carpets!)

It was replaced by a small block of flats.

I had a drink in there once a good few years back and was threatened with a glassing within half an hour. Nice place!

Of the disappearing North london pub, my biggest concern is what happens to the Swan in seven sisters. This pub building certainly looks like it dates from around the early Victorian period (although extensively altered) It is also one of the last pubs with long histories left in the area.

Swan Tottenham

Used this ex pub as a student and after when I lived in Thane villas at the back of the Sobel centre 40 years ago!. Used it while I lived there over 7 or so years and then when I went to watch the Arsenal for another 10 or so. 2 years ago (2016) on a pilgrimage to the Arsenal was surprised and saddened to see it gone. Clientele when I used it was mainly working class from the flats behind and next to it. Lovely friendly people, landlord used to cash our cheques(yes that long ago). Pub trips in summer to Margate fondly remembered. Other punters were from users of Sobel centre after sports. Was mainstay of local social scene.Fond memories of another time, miss it and them. Use Tollington now which used to be classier pub and then as now did food, v good lunchtime ploughmans. Up the Gunners

I passed this very closed boozer on the way to watch Cardiff's heroic 0-4 stuffing at Arsenal in 2006, but can't find any info on it.

I think it's pretty close to the old Rainbow Theatre. Anyone now what it and what happened to it?
2009 if it was the 4-0 stuffing. In 2006 we only lost 2-1, and we ended up in a great little pub somewhere north east of Highbury!
ETA:I have a hazy memory of you taking that pic on our way to meet up with the 1927 club in a wine bar somewhere!

2009 if it was the 4-0 stuffing. In 2006 we only lost 2-1, and we ended up in a great little pub somewhere north east of Highbury!
ETA:I have a hazy memory of you taking that pic on our way to meet up with the 1927 club in a wine bar somewhere!
It's all haze for me. Wins and defeats blur into an alcoholic haze! :D

Back
Top Bottom