Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Reggae Britannia BBC4 - starting this Friday!!

Numbers

an ting!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/seasons/reggaebritannia/

Am REALLY looking forward to this. Prob' been a thread but I look no further than the 1st page.

This w/ends schedule:

Reggae Britannia
Friday 9pm BBC Four MORE:
Documentary looking at reggae's influence on British music and society since the 1960s.

BBC Four Sessions: Reggae Britannia
Friday 10.30pm BBC Four
Live concert featuring Big Youth, Ken Boothe, Neville Staple, Ali Campbell and others.

Old Grey Whistle Test:
Reggae Concert from the Edinburgh Festival
Friday 12midnight BBC Four
The Cimarons, Winston Groovy, Dennis Alcapone, the Marvels, Nicky Thomas and the Pioneers.

Rock Goes to College: The Specials
Saturday 00.45am BBC Four
The Specials perform at the Colchester Institute in 1979, playing hits such as Gangsters.

Rocksteady: The Roots of Reggae
Sunday 9pm BBC Four
Documentary chronicling the rocksteady era of Jamaican music, which led to reggae.

Storyville: Rise Up Reggae Star
Sunday 10.35pm BBC Four
Three young Jamaican reggae artists fight to rise up from obscurity and into history.

Babylon
Sunday 11.35pm BBC Four
Drama about a young black man living Brixton in 1980 who fronts a dub sound system.

+ next w/end

Toots and the Maytals - Reggae Got Soul
Friday 18 Feb 9pm BBC Four

Reggae at the BBC
Friday 18 Feb 10pm BBC Four

Toots and the Maytals at Glastonbury 2010
Friday 18 Feb 11.30pm BBC Four

Arena: Bob Marley Exodus '77
Saturday 19 Feb 00.30am BBC Four

http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/seasons/reggaebritannia/

Am REALLY looking forward to this. Prob' been a thread but I look no further than the 1st page.

This w/ends schedule:

Reggae Britannia
Friday 9pm BBC Four MORE:
Documentary looking at reggae's influence on British music and society since the 1960s.

BBC Four Sessions: Reggae Britannia
Friday 10.30pm BBC Four
Live concert featuring Big Youth, Ken Boothe, Neville Staple, Ali Campbell and others.

Old Grey Whistle Test:
Reggae Concert from the Edinburgh Festival
Friday 12midnight BBC Four
The Cimarons, Winston Groovy, Dennis Alcapone, the Marvels, Nicky Thomas and the Pioneers.

Rock Goes to College: The Specials
Saturday 00.45am BBC Four
The Specials perform at the Colchester Institute in 1979, playing hits such as Gangsters.

Rocksteady: The Roots of Reggae
Sunday 9pm BBC Four
Documentary chronicling the rocksteady era of Jamaican music, which led to reggae.

Storyville: Rise Up Reggae Star
Sunday 10.35pm BBC Four
Three young Jamaican reggae artists fight to rise up from obscurity and into history.

Babylon
Sunday 11.35pm BBC Four
Drama about a young black man living Brixton in 1980 who fronts a dub sound system.

+ next w/end

Toots and the Maytals - Reggae Got Soul
Friday 18 Feb 9pm BBC Four

Reggae at the BBC
Friday 18 Feb 10pm BBC Four

Toots and the Maytals at Glastonbury 2010
Friday 18 Feb 11.30pm BBC Four

Arena: Bob Marley Exodus '77
Saturday 19 Feb 00.30am BBC Four

Fuck me, that looks superb. Will be sky plussing that little lot and no mistake!!!

Indeed. i was just looking at that list and wondering just how much space to clear on the V+ Box.

Enough for all of it i'd hazard a guess. The rocksteady programme is the one i've been wanting to see since it was advertised on here.... Fucking superb line up......

Must admit i'll probably sky plus the lot of it. Even the marley programme.

I have Babylon on DVD so don't need to record that and d/loaded Rise up Reggae Star so will save space there.

Just looked at my Sky+ and currently have 37% free, but with lots of options for deletions.

Am so looking forward to it. :)

that's a very strong line-up. good stuff. i might break out the ancient blim of rocky that's hanging around from last time i got some weed (several years ago)

The rocksteady programme is the one i've been wanting to see since it was advertised on here.... .
the trouble when i watch these sorts of programmes is i'll start thinking 'they haven't mentioned lynn taitt anywhere near enough' or summat, then i'll go into a mood and not enjoy it.

bbc4 music docs have all been pretty good so far though.

the trouble when i watch these sorts of programmes is i'll start thinking 'they haven't mentioned lynn taitt anywhere near enough' or summat, then i'll go into a mood and not enjoy it.

bbc4 music docs have all been pretty good so far though.

On the rocksteady one i'll be seeing how much they mention pat kelly.... Hehehehe

On the rocksteady one i'll be seeing how much they mention pat kelly.... Hehehehe

i bet he gets more of a mention than taitt. if they don't have at least a third of the programme on lynn, i'm gonna kick my fucking telly in. that'll teach 'em.

from wiki,

"In a Jamaican radio interview, pianist Gladstone Anderson said that bandleader Lynn Taitt was the man who slowed down the ska beat in 1964 during a "Take It Easy" recording session."

at least a third of the programme. should have his own programme.

There is a documentary on Lynn Taitt kicking around somewhere by the way.

And to add, off to see John Holt next weekend. :cool:

There was an excellent Reggae Britannia type thing shown on BB4 a few years ago. I remember a documentary about reggae in British, social history etc - maybe it was part of the Island records documentary. Ring any bells for anyone?

But yes, looking forward to this!

There was an excellent Reggae Britannia type thing shown on BB4 a few years ago. I remember a documentary about reggae in British, social history etc - maybe it was part of the Island records documentary. Ring any bells for anyone?

But yes, looking forward to this!

Yeah, that programme is part of this series.

I knew about the main programme, didn't know about the others afterwards.

<goes off to set sky plus>

Mrs Bears accidentally deleted Rise Up Reggae Star so it will be good to have that back again.

When is it on?

The first page of this thread is blocked by work as its considered as 'offensive and tasteless'

There was an excellent Reggae Britannia type thing shown on BB4 a few years ago. I remember a documentary about reggae in British, social history etc - maybe it was part of the Island records documentary. Ring any bells for anyone? But yes, looking forward to this!
I'm guessing you are thinking of the Soul Brittania series as that had quite a bit of reggae thrown in.

Started a thread in the telly forum a while back before they announced all the extra programming.

Toots is playing in Sydney in April
Saw Toots last year at a festival - was the best hour or so I had all year :cool:

As much as I'm looking forward to this, I've got a feeling I am going to be massively disappointed once again. Why? Because bar Ali Campbell and The Specials I'm not really seeing a lot of British Reggae advertised considering the title. A focus on the UK sound system scene that produced Saxon Studio, Coxsone as well as MC's like Tippa, Smiley etc would be good, also Lovers Rock, we built this and yet it seems to be more and more airbrushed out in favour of the genres that students and punks got into.

British Reggae might have started with Millie Small but also encompasses Dennis Bovell, Steel Pulse, Aswad, Janet Kay, Deborah Glasgow and Pato Banton etc

Would also have been nice to show how British kids took Reggae into a new direction with Jungle, Ragga House & Speed Garage.

Back
Top Bottom