Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Student protests - Wed 8th Dec+ Thurs 9th

editor

hiraethified
ULUDemo_2010_poster.jpg

Wednesday: NUS’s national day of action with protests, rallies and teach-ins at university and college campuses across the city; in particular, campuses where student occupations continue.

Ongoing occupations in London include UCL, KCL, UEL, SOAS, LSE, Goldsmiths, Camberwell College of Arts and London Met Uni. Organisers also hope for protests at FE and sixth-form colleges and schools.

Thursday: national protest organised by ULU, the Education Activist Network and the National Campaign Against Fees and Cuts will march at midday from ULU, Malet St to Parliament.

From 1pm an NUS-organised lobby of MPs at Parliament is due to go on until 3pm when an NUS candle-lit vigil will take place at Victoria Embankment.

http://londonist.com/2010/12/student-protests-the-days-ahead.php

Organisers also hope for protests at FE and sixth-form colleges and schools.

I work at 2 FE and sixth form colleges, students dont know this is going on, staff would like to make students aware of the demos, but are cautious of doing so due to how management would react.

Most 6th formers seem to be accepting that either they'll have massive debt, or they wont go to uni, the level of awareness in FE and 6th form needs to be addressed.

I work at 2 FE and sixth form colleges, students dont know this is going on, staff would like to make students aware of the demos, but are cautious of doing so due to how management would react.

Yeah, after a chat with the NUT rep (who is also SWP) at my school, I was advised that it would have to come from the students themselves, but we have a very conservative (with a small c) senior management team at my school. He did speak to some of the 6th formers he knew who are involved in UAF stuff though, and there has been some posters for wed/thurs up at our school. Hopefully there will be a decent turnout in birmingham on thursday from schools/FE, and some HE, though alot of HE students are heading to london.
No workers are likely to pull sickies though, I'm sure the thought hasn't even crossed their minds. RMT has called for it's members to support the students which is good, so hopefully off-duty RMT members will head to the demo.. students supported their pickets last week, great to see solidarity between the students and the unions.

Yeah, after a chat with the NUT rep (who is also SWP) at my school, I was advised that it would have to come from the students themselves, but we have a very conservative (with a small c) senior management team at my school. He did speak to some of the 6th formers he knew who are involved in UAF stuff though, and there has been some posters for wed/thurs up at our school. Hopefully there will be a decent turnout in birmingham on thursday from schools/FE, and some HE, though alot of HE students are heading to london.
No workers are likely to pull sickies though, I'm sure the thought hasn't even crossed their minds. RMT has called for it's members to support the students which is good, so hopefully off-duty RMT members will head to the demo.. students supported their pickets last week, great to see solidarity between the students and the unions.

I think we'd be deep in the shit if we told our students about it....... I wont be able to go, im teaching and got an observation :(

:( no chance for a sickie then. I have far too much of a sense of responsibility to pull a sickie obviously (plus still on a temporary contract, I don't want to get sacked in my probation period).

I'll be going on a coach from uni, £8 return which aint bad. Hope we really do manage to shut down central London haha, needs more than just students there though..

Might make a "Cameron is a Jeremy Hunt" sign... :cool:

Might make a "Cameron is a Jeremy Hunt" sign... :cool:

Might have to steal that. :p

I'm hoping the turnout is good, we're struggling in Manchester as the SU can't subsidise the tickets this time round, so many are faced with paying £24 for the coach, which is steep for this time of year.

Every bit if social media your are on, get these protests out. Me, I have a great job and career because of a mid life tertiary education provided by the state I wont other to have this opertunity with so much passion. Get the message out, tell people the value of having a tertiatry educaiton that does not become a millstone round you neck and convince people after work to get down and show support for the next generation.

Meanwhile the NUS 'official' candlelit vigil goes from bad to worse. Now replaced by a glowstick vigil cos of health and safety rules. :facepalm:

No idea why, but there are about 15 police bikes parked together along Upper Street, Islington. Must be something going on round here.

I took a walk down to Westminster at lunchtime; quite a few police being bussed in although no sign of any protesters.

Looks like the protest has been infiltrated by a loon though -
20101208_001.jpg

a school in Camden has been occupied, and another that was going to be shut early as a preventive measure.

Says the Keyboard warrior sat drinking tea

I don't know Butchersapron personally, but a mutual aquaintance has said good things about him. The said aquaintance works his proverbials off, organising community events, campaigning against the cuts, organising with the rank and file of a public service union, and publishing a community newsletter. If he has time for him, chances are Butchers has done his bit in the real world over the years.

On the other hand all you seem to do is make appologies for the government and boast about how radical you were as a student.

a school in Camden has been occupied, and another that was going to be shut early as a preventive measure.

Copied:
Urgent, need everyone esp NUT down to camden school for girls at 1 today. They've occupied! Report from inside: Yes we have a blog https://camdenschoolsitin.wordpress.com/ we are in occupation about a 100. the school has barricaded the doors and only allowing people in if they can prove we are student. The heating is also getting turned off this evening, teachers are saying that they are unable to support!

Copied:
Urgent, need everyone esp NUT down to camden school for girls at 1 today. They've occupied! Report from inside: Yes we have a blog https://camdenschoolsitin.wordpress.com/ we are in occupation about a 100. the school has barricaded the doors and only allowing people in if they can prove we are student. The heating is also getting turned off this evening, teachers are saying that they are unable to support!
Go Kids!

Just heard that both Stoke Newington School and acland burghley school are both in occupation #demo2010 #solidarity

Off @camdensitin

Back
Top Bottom