Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Anyone remember the Brixton Evangelist, Brixton tube, 2000?

editor

hiraethified
the-brixton-evangelist.jpg

I've just posted up a few pics of the fella in action here:
http://www.urban75.org/blog/the-brixton-evangelist-brixton-tube-2000/

He seemed quite oblivious to anyone around him. Of course, we've now got new preachers on the streets, with the worst being the foghorn-sounding woman who prowls around by H&M on weekends.

I remember when it was a jewelers. I was a Saturday girl at H Samuels and Sanders and H Samuels would take the cash to the bank together.

Interesting Sanders fact I heard yesterday - originally they were going to make the clock face for the WW1 war memorial in Stockwell however they wanted their name on the clock face and this wasn't allowed so they didn't make it in the end.

Was the pictured evangelist a Liverpudlian guy called Phil? If so, Time Out (I think) had a spate of trying to track him down a few years back.

I remember when it was a jewelers. I was a Saturday girl at H Samuels and Sanders and H Samuels would take the cash to the bank together.

Interesting Sanders fact I heard yesterday - originally they were going to make the clock face for the WW1 war memorial in Stockwell however they wanted their name on the clock face and this wasn't allowed so they didn't make it in the end.

What WWI memorial in Stockwell? Where's that?

ETA: Oh, you mean the one with poppies and Violet Szabo?

He was most definitely a Scouser.

The guy I'm thinking of is Phil "Sinner or Winner?" Howard. There's loads of stuff about him on the web - the photos look like older versions of the chap in your photo above.

Definitely

For some reason, I always thought he looked German, although I may be thinking of the one with shorts who reminded me of the Hitler Youth. Wasnt he blonde as well?

I'm sure he is the sinner or winner guy - or at least looks like him. Used to be on Oxford Circus for a long time then started popping up all over the place..

he's deffo the same bloke - i witnessed him behave in a very creepy manner to female commuters at clapham junction once. he seemed to be getting a thrill from telling them they were going to hell whilst showing them a book with crayon drawings of hell in it

The sinner/winner (eat up all your dinner or you'll a lot thinner) bloke got an asbo issued against him and that's why he had to stop his Oxford Circus rants

He was an annoying cunt, to be fair... used to hiss "satan" at him whenever I passed him at Ox Circ..

This is good news. i love this guy. on a side note, i havent seen the 'ignorance is no excuse, the road to hell is wide' guy about for a while. hope hes ok, maybe takin a break from saving our souls.

there was a whole new crew at KFC corner on the weekend proclaiming their love god combined with hatred of white people, particularly justin bieber and simon cowell. this went on at high volume for a good few hours. thinkin of gettin one of those laser pointers.

yeh i guess so. they definitely weren't NOI though. about half of the racket was being created by a very shrill woman. which aint exactly NOI style. theyre as sexist as they are racist.

Back
Top Bottom