Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

sly & robbie - show some love

probably to conversational, some has not stand the time well sound like 80 rubbish.
were not looking Sly & Robbie - Stepping Out Dub

I've been loving their Dub experience album. First heard it recently but I've had it on repeat since. So much more experimental than the more straight dub albums, you can really hear the influence of other genres in it.

didyouknow - sly dunbar is named after sly and the family stone sly who he did love to bits? you did? you read wikipee too? :)

i think my favourite sly and robbie moments might be the grace jones stuff they sessioned on. then again they're on every second record so the choice is immense
grace jones is great, but with s+r its up there at the top of the tree

dont know what vid to post - why not this one

chris whatshisname from island records may have some crimes to his name, such as refusing to release the congos lee perry album, but hooking up grace jones with sly and robbie was abrilliant move if ever there was one.

yeah, i love most of grace's 80's albums, but nightclubbing has to be the best. not a bad song on it - even the sting number sounds great...

which one was the sting one kb? - looked it up - its demolition man.
by the way in looking it up i noticed that nightclubbing was written by David Bowie, along side James Osterberg aka Iggy Pop! Isnt it wiiiillld!
id like to hear db + ip doing that. are there some other versions of it?

which one was the sting one kb? - looked it up - its demolition man.
by the way in looking it up i noticed that nightclubbing was written by David Bowie, along side James Osterberg aka Iggy Pop! Isnt it wiiiillld!
id like to hear db + ip doing that. are there some other versions of it?

Other versions of nightclubbing? Human League did it was a double A side single with Rock and Roll (the Gary Glitter cover).

Not seen Sly and Robbie since the Taxi Gang tour in 87? With Half Pint (not good), Yellowman (not good) and Ini Kamoze (not bad - whipped up some enthusiasm there). Taxi Gang alone was stunning at the time.. sounds a bit 1980s now. Just found bits of the tour album on youtube.

I also particularly enjoyed the 'Wimbledon posse are you ready..' :facepalm:

Used to listen to 'A Dub Experience' a lot when I was in my teens. The last two songs - Jailbreak and one whose name escapes me were particularly good iirc. Probably the first dub album I heard properly. Opened up a whole world of other good stuff. :)

Back
Top Bottom