Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Brixton Splash - Sunday 1st August 2010

Their site is reliably shocking every year, and they've still got all that weird profile stuff on it and loads of irrelevant random photos.

Brixton Splash has great potential but never quite gets there for me. There's all sorts of political stuff surrounding the running of the event too which seems to leave a fair few local businesses pissed off.

Money well spent?

www.jobsgopublic.com...

Brixton Splash Trainee Events Manager
Employer:Lambeth Council
Published:February 8th, 2010
Working pattern:Full Time, Temporary position
Hours:35
Salary:Career Grade Scale 6 – S02: £25,515 rising in annual increments to £31,935 pa incl. LW. Fixed Term Contract for 3 years.

That website is appallingly bad. I might go along if I knew what was happening, as it is it tells me fuck all.

http://www.brixtonsplash.co.uk/gallery/brixtonsplash2010.jpg

Is it just me, or has the main photo on the flier been totally Photoshopped? Look at all the people in the front couple of rows. They look like they've been cut'n'pasted in.

The proportions seem a bit wrong to me - if you look at where the Albert is in the background, the road seems to be way too wide.
It looks totally photoshopped to me. Badly, too. Top-left in front of the girl in the red t-shirt... woman with her fingers stuck in her ears? Great advert for a music event! :D

Their advertising is as good as ever, never even knew it was on till someone mentioned it on friday.

The promo for last year was just as bad but it was still pretty rammed I think. There's a pullout in the SLP but apart from that I wouldn't have known about it.

It was good last year - well, the soundsystems down Atlantic and Coldharbour were powering it out and the place was pleasantly bumping. Loads of familiar faces around.

Just been past and it's coming together alright. The streets are cordoned off for the soundsystems as last year which worked well, but the new Central Square main stage and surrounds looks pretty darn awful. Ok, so the organisers probably aren't the best planners, but the space really is badly designed - whereas you could put events in front of the old square of grass, now it sits at a weird angle to the assortment of paths nearby, with little real area in front of the stage. Elsewhere the sound stage is plonked just a few feet away and random food and telecoms tents make it pretty much of a broken-up mish mash.

The Special Brew Peace Gardens opposite have turned into what looked like an art fair or similar. That said, on further gazing on the way home, one stall seemed to be selling those laminated posters more usually favoured by street traders - I was a little bemused by the picture of a baby peeing to the caption 'Who's Bad?' tbh.

Sure it'll be fine in spite of that. If the weather holds up it's a good excuse for warm bass and dancing in the street

Ok, so the organisers probably aren't the best planners, but the space really is badly designed

Interesting point which i suppose hasn't been raised until now when there's an actual event happening in WS.
You would have thought that the planners would have planned for community events.

I had some concerns on the other Central Square thread on, but I'll admit I still wasn't prepared for such a dog's dinner of a layout today. Suddenly the clumsily tethered marquees of the last music event on there don't seem to be too bad.

I know this is a stupid question, but is there any stage times for main stage and does anyone know what they are??

without fail i never manage to make this, and am going to miss today too - if theres a soundsystem in a street it sounds alright to me though

It's not really an art fair Timothy. Some people are selling artwork, others are selling flags and tat.

I'm not sure how much someone needs to be subsidised to sell a polo shirt with the Jamaican flag embossed onto it.

Seems quieter than last year for some reason, perhaps as a result of zero publicity. The soundrigs are sounding sweet - almost too loud in places, and it's rare to hear me say that.

Back
Top Bottom