Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Beating the Fascists: The authorised history of Anti-Fascist Action

cogg

Clear spot!
At last, the book anti-fascists have been waiting to for years is out on the
28th July.

From the blurb: “Following the electoral collapse of the National Front in 1979, fascists went on the rampage. Race attacks escalated. NF/BNP gangs employed violence on the streets, on the terraces and to control the music scene. Young anti-fascists stepped up. A new hardline leadership emerged and AFA was formed in 1985. ‘A state of war’ was how one rueful BNP leader would describe what happened next.

Not only is ‘Beating the Fascists’ a meticulously researched study, it is also a much-needed piece of ‘history from below’. Throughout, the voices of working class anti-fascists come across hard, clear, and without apology. Illuminating and sometimes chilling by turn, the running commentary they provide helps ensure the tempo never flags. Gradually the reader is drawn into an outlaw world of back street idealism, paramilitary style violence and heroic self-sacrifice”.

http://www.freedompress.org.uk/news/afa-book/

Note to mods, posted here for discussion not as an ad.

Bollocks I am off on holiday a couple of days before its actually published. Still it will be great to know that it will be waiting on return.

Wasn't it the case that when AFA had it inuagrual meeting in a pub in North London the pub was attacked by fash who were then promptly seen off or am I getting confused?

a drinking club?

a force of nature?

an organisation with lots of different groups, and lots of different politics?

So I'm guessing that Freedom Press have put their emphasis on pacifism well and truly behind them? :D

Looking forward to this, I always found AFA's stuff really well written - something which perhaps got overlooked at the time.

Should be interesting - certainly they were "effective" in their short term aims, combatting a certain kind of street-fighting fascist threat. Which I guess was their main thing. But it's a very limited sort of effectiveness that doesn't build capacity for a positive alternative.

Should be interesting - certainly they were "effective" in their short term aims, combatting a certain kind of street-fighting fascist threat. Which I guess was their main thing. But it's a very limited sort of effectiveness that doesn't build capacity for a positive alternative.

That's a rather unfair review given the many very good documents from within AFA, which, whether 'official' AFA or RA have, more often than not, been entirely borne out by events. Undoubtedly for many on the Left they simply viewed AFA as a 'street activist group' however their politics and writings more than stand the test when looked at today.

Elements within AFA came to that conclusion around 1999-

AFA's founding statement: "to confront the fascists physically and ideologically," has so far only been partially implemented. Part one has been successfully completed, now we must address part two. Part two: 'confronting the far-right ideologically' means confronting them with a political alternative [RA emphasis]. Which means we must begin to systematically fill the existing political vacuum, in working class communities, in whole swathes of London and elsewhere, that we have created by our own efforts. We have won the 'war' - lets not lose the peace.

So I'm guessing that Freedom Press have put their emphasis on pacifism well and truly behind them? :D

Looking forward to this, I always found AFA's stuff really well written - something which perhaps got overlooked at the time.

This IS really well written and is one of those books that you read immediately and then return to again and again.

I've read various drafts of it over the time it was being wrtitten as well as the final draft but I was re-checking the text for the index at the weekend when I realised I'd just read 30 pages without blinking.

being devil's advocate for a moment - a few people involved, maybe from the yorkshire area, would say it's not their history of afa - is it fair to be THE authrorised history, instead of AN authorised history?

being devil's advocate for a moment - a few people involved, maybe from the yorkshire area, would say it's not their history of afa - is it fair to be THE authrorised history, instead of AN authorised history?

Presumably they'd have to read it before they disagreed with what was in it?

Back
Top Bottom