Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Leftover cooked lamb....

Biddlybee

making knots with sticks
...from a roast.

What can I make with it that's quite quick and not fiddly?

So far I've come up with curry or stovies. Bit of a curry novice, and not sure it's that quick to make one. And never done stovies before, but seems quite easy.

Recipes please :)

How was it originally cooked? I'd imagine that'll make a difference to what you could do with it now.

We had a lovely leg of lamb over easter and the leftovers contributed to a lovely shepards pie and some cornish pasties, which also used up the leftover veg from the roast dinner.

Stovies - dead easy!

4135142.cde35b0c.1024.jpg

Recipe:
50g (2 oz.)beef dripping or butter
3 medium onions, roughly chopped
1 kg (2 pounds)potatoes
125-250g (4-8 ounces) cooked beef or lamb (leftovers from a roast dinner)
2 -3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley, chives, or spring onions
Seasoning salt, freshly ground black pepper

Heat fat in a large heavy-base pot (one with a tight-fitting lid) and add the onions. Cook until lightly brown. Peel potatoes if they are old, but leave the skins on new potatoes. Slice about 5mm (1/4-inch) thick. Or slice roughly in different thickness so that the thin go into a mush, while the others stay whole. Add them to the pot with the onions and stir well. coating all sides with the fat. Put the lid on and cook over a very low heat, shaking the pot once or twice to prevent sticking, until the potatoes are cooked. Add the meat, mix through, and turn up the heat to brown a little.

:)

pogofish - does there need to be anything in with the potatoes when you cook them? Stock or water?

And what's that with the stovies?
Less than an hour no??
Probably about an hour-ish including preparing the veg and gravy. Probably won't get home til gone 9 tonight.

Didn't realise you could make these two with cooked meat.

I just shreded down the lamb with a knife (I slow roasted it for 5 hours so it was uber tender anyway) and added this to a tomato sauce I had made and then bunged in a tin of baked beans. Best sheperds pie ever and beats the mince version for taste.

Rissoles are basicly burgers. Mince up the lamb, add onions/herbs and some egg to bind it, and fry. :) You can also add potato and make a sort of spuddy/meaty cakey thing *licks lips*

edit for picture
HomecookedLambRissoles2.jpg

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall/hugh-s-mum-s-shepherd-s-pie-recipe_p_1.html

Otherwise, frying up bits of it in a frying pan then adding a bit of soy sauce and having it stuffed into a hot pitta with some mayo and salad is very quick.
Leftover lamb does really well this way - it goes all lovely and crispy on the outside but stays tender - and most of the time you find that it also has enough fat on it that you don't even need to add extra oil (but if you do need to then just add a little and wipe it around the pan with a bit of kitchen roll).

pogofish - does there need to be anything in with the potatoes when you cook them? Stock or water?

And what's that with the stovies?

You can use either but IME stock works best, esp if you don't have much meat & add more veg instead.

I was sick last night, and I'm out tonight, so will have a go at stovies on Wed, if there's any lamb left :D It will still be ok by then won't it? (was cooked on Sunday).

Stir fried lamb is lovely - works well with spring onions, and some thinly sliced carrot and leek. Lamb goes well with garlic so it's good to bung loads (several cloves) of thinly sliced garlic in too, with some soy sauce, sesame seed oil, and a splash of rice wine or sake type thing if you have any. Serve with noodles.

rub it with oil mixes with a tsp of chinese 5 spice, and shove it under the grill to crispyfy it..

then serve it with chinese pancakes and hoy sin sauce, with cucumber and spring onion.

sriously works.

Back
Top Bottom