Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Barclays/TFL cycle hire scheme in London

se5

TfL have published details of the cycle hire scheme for London that they hope to introduce by 2010.

Tfl say "The scheme will allow you to pick up a cycle at a docking station, use it as you like, and then return it to any docking station.

Initially, cycles will be available in an area approximately equivalent to fare Zone 1 in central London, although the area may be enlarged and the number of docking stations and cycles increased in future."

And they promise initially
* 6,000 cycles
* 400 cycle stations
* 10,500 docking points (allowing approximately 1.7 per cycle should ensure users can return bicycles to the docking point of their choice)
* An area of 43km2

See http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/roadusers/cycling/cycle-hire-scheme/ for further details

*waits for someone to come along moaning at what a crap idea this is, how all the bikes will be nicked etc etc*

I think it's a great idea, just a shame London didn't do it first, and that it's taken so long to get funding and approval...

I think it's a great idea, just a shame London didn't do it first, and that it's taken so long to get funding and approval...

They'd be much better off introducing a compulsory cycling standards test and licensing system, so that a) fuckwits who jump red lights can be caught, and b) it becomes safer for other road users, knowing that they are less likely to have some idiot on a bike cut them up and put them at risk of damaging their vehicle when they hit the bike, or another car hits them because of the evasive action they had to.

How do you sue a cyclist that causes you to have an accident when you can't identify them, and they have no insurance to claim on?

Not at all, just putting things into perspective that bicycles create more problems than people think they solve.

I notice also on the tfl website there's a poll, and "I won't/can't use it" and "what a dumbass idea" are conspicuous by their absence.

Not at all, just putting things into perspective that bicycles create more problems than people think they solve.

Oh? How so? How many RTAs are cycles responsible for compared to cars? How much room does a cycle take up on the road compared to let's say, the average estate car?

Let's hear these myriad "problems". :hmm:

They'd be much better off introducing a compulsory cycling standards test and licensing system, so that a) fuckwits who jump red lights can be caught, and b) it becomes safer for other road users, knowing that they are less likely to have some idiot on a bike cut them up and put them at risk of damaging their vehicle when they hit the bike, or another car hits them because of the evasive action they had to.

I think you should be forced to register so I know who to run over, lol :D

How do you sue a cyclist that causes you to have an accident when you can't identify them, and they have no insurance to claim on?

Spoken like a dyed-in-the-wool anti-cycling motorist. You talk as though there are no idiot motorists who jump red lights and are a danger to other road users. I can't count the numbers of motorists who have tailgated me. That is dangerous driving in anyone's book.

When I wrote the initial article I wondered how long it would take before aj offered a negative comment - and the answer is: 12 minutes.

Maybe, just maybe it will be a success and increase the number of cyclists on the roads of London meaning that car drivers have to take more account of cyclists making the streets calmer and much more people friendly.

We worked out that the net cost to TfL of each km cycled by these hire bikes is about £2.50

Looking forward to blowing this one out of the water :)

Ideas like this fail to take into account that for many people it is just not practical to use a bike for part or all of their journey. Then the predictable environmental lobby come into play trying to make you feel guilty for exercising your right to choose not to participate.

Cars are far more of a menace to pedestrians than cycles. Lets just look at the figures: the DfT shows that in England (and I think Wales too) around 240-250 people are killed on the pavement or on pedestrian crossings each year by cars. The equivalent figure for the number of people killed by cyclists is 2-3 a year - a statistically insignificant number (in many years the figure is zero, or one: these really are freakish accidents from which no general pattern can be found)

When I wrote the initial article I wondered how long it would take before aj offered a negative comment - and the answer is: 12 minutes.

Predictable isn't it? :rolleyes:

I do need to ask though, how are TFL making sure people don't take them home? :hmm::oops::D

Indeed, so dumb ideas like removing the barriers in Central Brixton to let pedestrians wander in and out of the traffic as they please to cross the road, rather than at designated crossing points, contributes to the problem rather than solves it.

Ideas like this fail to take into account that for many people it is just not practical to use a bike for part or all of their journey. Then the predictable environmental lobby come into play trying to make you feel guilty for exercising your right to choose not to participate.

It isn't always practical to use a car, yet people do. Some would rather drive 100m down the road than walk. Given the levels of traffic in London, it isn't really efficient to drive anywhere...unless you have to.

Then I look at some of those who sit behind the wheel and I see how unhealthy they look and I think "I'm glad I cycle".

Ideas like this fail to take into account that for many people it is just not practical to use a bike for part or all of their journey.

Agreed but for many people arriving into say Waterloo or Victoria stations it would be very easy for them to cycle the one or two miles to their ultimate destination and so this scheme would allow them so to do which means that there is slightly less pressure on public transport. It brings public health benefits too as the people who cycle are far less likely to duffer from health problems in old age.

I do need to ask though, how are TFL making sure people don't take them home? :hmm::oops::D

You pay per use, and if it isn't returned to a base within 24 hours of taking it out, apparently you get charged to your credit card the full cost of replacement of the bike.

It'll be interesting to see how the daily cost (which I don't think they've worked out yet) compares to a day travelcard.

Indeed, so dumb ideas like removing the barriers in Central Brixton to let pedestrians wander in and out of the traffic as they please to cross the road, rather than at designated crossing points, contributes to the problem rather than solves it.

That's safer then what was currently happening, people cross halfway and then walk up the middle of the road along the barrier til they find the gap. Or do you want jaywalking to be an offence now?

I've seen people using these schemes in Paris and Barcelona and they seem very popular and well used. Bicycles are a convenient way of getting around in a city center. For trips around or under a mile, it's by far the quickest.

It isn't always practical to use a car, yet people do. Some would rather drive 100m down the road than walk.

That's obviously silly, driving that short a distance. But it's not just distance that's the factor, you have to take into account many other things that will be different for each person.

But Brixton is a first and foremost a town centre for people not for cars - the barriers are there for the benefit of cars to allow them to go faster knowing that people will not wonder out. If there is more uncertainty drivers will have to take more account of the needs of people

TBH aj, if the people for whom using a motor vehicle is beneficial or necessary - disabled persons, couriers, delivery types - were the only people driving in London things would be a lot smoother, but they aren't. Someone commuting or driving into central London to shop, 'do lunch' or other leisure activity are only making lives harder for themselves and everyone else.

A company director driving to his company parking space in a 5 series beemer could just as easily take public transport as a choice, but chooses to sit in traffic and making an unecessary car journey.

That's obviously silly, driving that short a distance. But it's not just distance that's the factor, you have to take into account many other things that will be different for each person.

Yet many motorists do it. What are these "other things"?

Btw, I see a lot of motorists using the pavement for parking when there is no sign telling them that it is permitted. This results in broken paving flags, which can cause accidents and makes life for those with mobility problems unbearable.

I've seen people using these schemes in Paris and Barcelona and they seem very popular and well used. Bicycles are a convenient way of getting around in a city center. For trips around or under a mile, it's by far the quickest.

Quite
The research over the years show that in London for journeys of up to about five miles bikes are the fastest way of getting around.

TBH aj, if the people for whom using a motor vehicle is beneficial or necessary - disabled persons, couriers, delivery types - were the only people driving in London things would be a lot smoother, but they aren't. Someone commuting or driving into central London to shop, 'do lunch' or other leisure activity are only making lives harder for themselves and everyone else.

A company director driving to his company parking space in a 5 series beemer could just as easily take public transport as a choice, but chooses to sit in traffic and making an unecessary car journey.

You may well be right, but "could just as easily" isn't always an option. From where I live to where I work takes 30 minutes by car, or just over an hour on two buses. For some high powered businessman, that 30 minutes each end of the day saved by using their own car could mean a lot of money made (or lost).

I personally wouldn't drive through Central London, simply because it's so damn confusing (although now I have a sat nav it helps) I find it easier comign down from North to head M11/A102M/A13/Tower Bridge/Bricklayers Arms/ Camberwell than the direct route via the A1

Back
Top Bottom