Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (pt7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pt. 7? :eek:

Pretty impressive. There's only the 'what's on the CD player' that beats that, surely?

Anyhow, I'm having grilled Chicken breast fillets, patatas bravas and salad, I think.

ETA: But I've got a bit of beef that wants eating up so I might have that. It was vitally important that I come back and edit this post to tell you that, wasn't it?

Oh I'm so proud - my baby is now 7! *wipes tear from eye*

Thanks to everyone who is obsessed with food, for making this such a huge success. I'd like to thank you all, and god, and my dog, and my cousin's cousin's sister's auntie's husband for making it all worthwhile :cool::cool:

*stumbles off podium*

dunno :confused:

this is normal for me though, generally i poke around in the fridge, freezer and in the cupboards and see what's in. i'm not organised enough for meal planning :oops:

we had roast veg and tomato pasta last night though, that was nice.

In reply to Scallywag re pesto - I've never made it before, so if anyone does have any tried and tested recipes (I mean, how hard can it be, eh? eh?), let's have 'em

In reply to Scallywag re pesto - I've never made it before, so if anyone does have any tried and tested recipes (I mean, how hard can it be, eh? eh?), let's have 'em

I do :D

http://101things.wordpress.com/2006/04/01/pesto/

Pesto is one of those things which is absolutely always worth making yourself because it tastes so much fresher and it’s incredibly easy. I mean really, really easy. Made in five minutes easy.

To make the amount shown in the above picture (which should serve four):

Ingredients
Basil (about 30 leaves)
100ml good olive oil
40g pine nuts (you can toast these if you like, I don’t always bother)
50g Parmasan cheese, freshly grated. If you can get pecorino cheese, use 25g pamasan and 25g pecorino
Salt

Cooking

“Cooking” is a bit of a misnomer, because all you need to do is bung it all in the blender and whizz it until it’s the consistency you want. Ta dah! I think it’s even nicer the next day when the ingredients have had the chance to get to know each other. It’ll keep in the fridge for a few days (but not much longer).

Thanks to everyone who is obsessed with food, for making this such a huge success. I'd like to thank you all, and god, and my dog, and my cousin's cousin's sister's auntie's husband for making it all worthwhile :cool::cool:

*stumbles off podium*

That was beautiful. :)

f2e0b2ee-aa36-4bed-a290-f35545d04ded.widec.jpg

I am torn between Wildebeest and Zebra for my main course tonight, with perhaps Chilli and Garlic Locusts or Chocolate Covered Scorpion on the side :D

E2A Mother natures loser or cute stripey horse, I am excited by this choice :)

Although there's although there's also Croc & Kangaroo on the menu, I'll not be asking fort a doggy bag though! Mwah, mwah, mwah.

*stumbles off podium*
*applauds*

:D :D

i dunno :( i have a quiche, some pasta, some ham, some bacon, some cheese, and some eggs. oh and some tzatiki. and probably some random bits in the freezer. its just me and feyror tonight, the others have gone to wales till sunday for a family thing

I do :D

http://101things.wordpress.com/2006/04/01/pesto/

Pesto is one of those things which is absolutely always worth making yourself because it tastes so much fresher and it’s incredibly easy. I mean really, really easy. Made in five minutes easy.

To make the amount shown in the above picture (which should serve four):

Ingredients
Basil (about 30 leaves)
100ml good olive oil
40g pine nuts (you can toast these if you like, I don’t always bother)
50g Parmasan cheese, freshly grated. If you can get pecorino cheese, use 25g pamasan and 25g pecorino
Salt

Cooking

“Cooking” is a bit of a misnomer, because all you need to do is bung it all in the blender and whizz it until it’s the consistency you want. Ta dah! I think it’s even nicer the next day when the ingredients have had the chance to get to know each other. It’ll keep in the fridge for a few days (but not much longer).

No garlic missfran? Maybe that's why mine didn't taste so good cos i used it?

What olive oil do you use?

You could put garlic in, I do sometimes. The recipe above adapated from The Silver Spoon, which doesn't include garlic.

I use extra-vrigin olive oil. No special brand or anything though.

I've been reading an interesting book about the history of Italian cooking - it turns out that the orthodox Genovese pesto ingredients - basil, olive oil, cheese - is a fairly recent dictate. Cookbooks up to 100 years ago all listed pestoes involving coriander, fennel, no nuts, walnuts, ricotta, all kinds of things.

So basically, make it up as you go along.

Jacket potatoes with coleslaw :cool:

My aunt and her husband are coming to stay tomorrow, which will be lovely, except that I offered to cook dinner and have only now realised that I have never cooked for any member of that side of the family and have no idea what they like/don't like or what to make. What's a good safe veggie option that's unlikely to cause controversy, but will still be tasty and yum?

My aunt and her husband are coming to stay tomorrow, which will be lovely, except that I offered to cook dinner and have only now realised that I have never cooked for any member of that side of the family and have no idea what they like/don't like or what to make. What's a good safe veggie option that's unlikely to cause controversy, but will still be tasty and yum?

lasagne is always a good one with a bit of a salad:)

melanzane parmiggiana? (ont wiki i believe)

oooh yeah, there's a puy lentil lasagne recipe on missfran's site I keep meaning to try, that might be a winner. Or spinach and ricotta lasagne.

You could put garlic in, I do sometimes. The recipe above adapated from The Silver Spoon, which doesn't include garlic.

I use extra-vrigin olive oil. No special brand or anything though.

Ta!

I've been reading an interesting book about the history of Italian cooking - it turns out that the orthodox Genovese pesto ingredients - basil, olive oil, cheese - is a fairly recent dictate. Cookbooks up to 100 years ago all listed pestoes involving coriander, fennel, no nuts, walnuts, ricotta, all kinds of things.

So basically, make it up as you go along.

One of my most memorable holiday moments was on a cycling trip in Italy, pulling up to a campsite on the outskirts of Genova and riding through fields of basil. The smell was fantastic and the pesto pasta that night was so so good :cool:

Wouldn't mind having a go at rocket or a corriander pesto either. THis is making me very hungry :D

We had pork chops, mashed potato, carrots, broccolli and green beans. With gravy and apple sauce. :)

I have some chicken breasts and some nice prawns in the freezer..and bits and bobs.But im just cooking for me,so feeling a little uninspired..And im ungry already :(

either an omlette (unlikely) or a curry with all the trimmings and fizzy pop as i just found £20 in a xmas card from last year( i've been sorting out big boxes of paperwork and assorted crap)

*stumbles off podium*

*passes over tissues*

We had homemade chips, baked beans and a big fat pork chop! We've been having much less meat lately so I thought we deserved a treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom